Another Noob Question...Puree Peppers?

How do I make a pepper puree and how long does it last? Does it require preservatives?

Don't need secret recipes, just basic knowledge?

I'm starting to get dangerous in the kitchen...:lol:

Depends on what you mean. A puree is blended. Almost all sauces are blended. What do you mean exactly? Peppers and a liquid only?

thehotpepper.com said:
Depends on what you mean. A puree is blended. Almost all sauces are blended. What do you mean exactly? Peppers and a liquid only?

Yes, peppers and liquid only...I guess a puree concentrate.

I did check out AJ's thread on Superhot Concentrate. This is what I want to make with my peppers. Looks like I will need a pressure canner. Guess that means I will need to go shopping again:rolleyes:.

:)

if you are using bell jars you shouldn't need a pressure cooker. as long as you have vinegar in your sauce that is. just can it, water bath it for oh 15 minutes or so and make sure the lids seal. you should be good to go then. i believe - someone else can confirm me or say i'm wrong.

Or you can refridgerate for a few days.

I made a mango, hab, garlic, olive oil puree that we drizzled over seared scallops. Man that was good!;)

Anyways, the stuff was perfectly good a week later on some fish.

Hot packing is all that is needed for sauces with proper pH. For my purees and pastes I usually use partially dried peppers and mix in the blender with just enough lemon juice or vinegar to make a paste, then I hot pack it or store it in the fridge

Back