• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Another pinching question...sorry

Sooo I know if I remove these early buds my plant will grow bigger, however it's coming on winter here in Australia where I won't produce any pod's (at a guess, new to living in Brisbane and growing chilli's). So my question is if I let these go to flower and produce pods, then blast with nitrogen can I still expect steady growth after it flowers or will I have stunted the plant. Currently I'd guesstimate that the plant is around 25cm (I think around 1ft in imperial). Only reason I want to let them grow out because I'm really new to this and would love to sample some choc habs, and I wanted to get some seeds for my sister for when her season starts.

My goal originally was to just grow the plants through winter at a slow pace so that I'd have a large plant and an extended growing period. I know there are other topics on the pro's and con's of pinching but I just wanted some opinions.

Another concern I have is if the pod's will ripen (not sure if its warm enough) currently looking at 26-27 degrees C during the day and 16 at night.

I guess I should also ask if I will be able to grow, even at a slower rate, through winter where the lowest we get down to is a 20 degree day average and 10 degree night average.

Cheers,
Peakey

I'm pretty sure it's just stunted while it spends its energy on the pods. After you pick the pods it should start to pic up the pace again. They will grow slowly at lower temperatures. Sounds like you can overwinter them outside. I'm jealous. Maybe an earthbox could help warm them up.

Same boat as you Peaky, ive got four Bhut`s with iddy biddy pods on right now that will be hacked off for spring.

90% of my plants are now growing to give me a head start for later in the year (after winter) if you can call it a winter here?
more like a pause in growing but not anything that would kill your plants.

Im new to the east coast (coming from WA) but from reading we should be sweet on overwintering, id like to have my plants fully fruiting by the time Santa rocks ups, and then keep producing right through to this time next year.

Mezo.

I'm pretty sure it's just stunted while it spends its energy on the pods. After you pick the pods it should start to pic up the pace again. They will grow slowly at lower temperatures. Sounds like you can overwinter them outside. I'm jealous. Maybe an earthbox could help warm them up.
Thanks for the info, should be a good little experiment anyway just to see if I can steadily grow. So i shouldn't have any issues with pods ripening? Do earthboxes keep warmer or something? I've never used them before.

Same boat as you Peaky, ive got four Bhut`s with iddy biddy pods on right now that will be hacked off for spring.

90% of my plants are now growing to give me a head start for later in the year (after winter) if you can call it a winter here?
more like a pause in growing but not anything that would kill your plants.

Im new to the east coast (coming from WA) but from reading we should be sweet on overwintering, id like to have my plants fully fruiting by the time Santa rocks ups, and then keep producing right through to this time next year.

Mezo.

Haha maybe we should have a race, first pods post August? :D

Back