• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pics Another Potential Bhut Failure

So, this is my first post to this forum really and I am coming to you all to humbly ask for help on diagnosing what is wrong with my bhut jolokia plant. :tear: I received it about a week or so ago and did a transplant that weekend. My setup for it was two five gallon buckets stacked inside one another (with holes in the inside bucket for drainage). I used 2 bags of Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil (which is supposed to be fine) mixed with one bag of Miracle Grow Cactus Soil (for drainage). I water only when dry, but I use tap water. The plant is inside because being northeast Ohio our weather likes to be nice one day and freezing the next. The setup sat right next to a window that got only about 2 to 3 hours of direct sun a day. Well recently the plant is looking funny. The edges of the leaves are turning opaque, while there is an occasional hole in the leaf. Growth has also been very slow. No new leaves have really developed in the past week to two weeks I have had it. I was told by someone that it was a possible fungus or bacterial infection so I got a copper ophsophate (or something like that, not sulphate) organic fungicide that I lightly sprayed it with today. I also think maybe I am not getting enough light to it so I placed it under a floor lamp that has a natural white and a soft white cf light bulbs in it hoping that would help. I am unsure anymore, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. :surprised:

Pics are my Plant.

2011-04-05193859.jpg

2011-04-05193848.jpg

2011-04-05193841.jpg

:welcome: to THP from Pennsylvania! Looks like you have some minor issues there that are easily fixed. Ease up on the fertilizer and water. That leaf curl COULD BE a calcium deficiency. You can start by giving them a little epsom salt (sprinkle some at the bottom of the plant or mix with water) and/or get a little bonemeal. Go easy and slow with any soil amendments and you'll do fine.

:welcome: From Ontario. Bhuts seem very sensitive to fertilizer in my experience. They need very little to start off with. Otherwise your plant is doing well..

Good luck!!

:welcome: to THP from Pennsylvania! Looks like you have some minor issues there that are easily fixed. Ease up on the fertilizer and water. That leaf curl COULD BE a calcium deficiency. You can start by giving them a little epsom salt (sprinkle some at the bottom of the plant or mix with water) and/or get a little bonemeal. Go easy and slow with any soil amendments and you'll do fine.

Alright, I will add a tiny bit of epsom salts to the bottom of the plant when I get home. I did use a little bit on it when these problems first started showing up, but it was only one time so I don't know if it did anything. I will also get some bone meal fertilizer after Friday when I get paid.

Oh and these are the exact soils I used.

2 bags of http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/productTemplate.jsp?proId=prod70318&itemId=cat50154&tabs=general
1 bag of http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/productTemplate.jsp?proId=prod70224&itemId=cat50154

I mixed them rather thoroughly before I put them into the bucket and put the plant in.

you may try to add some more soil to that five gallon bucket
to raise the leaves an all up into the light and air.
from the photo it looks like you are a few gallons short
like 16 pints i would guess

the fert burn may go away just by giving a little more water
and then letting the water drain out

you said you have got double buckets
please give as much water as it will drink up
bottom water if you can (soak for like a half hour or so)
then provide space and allow all excess water to drain out
do not leave the bottom of the plant's bucket fully wet(let it drip dry)

you may try to add some more soil to that five gallon bucket
to raise the leaves an all up into the light and air.
from the photo it looks like you are a few gallons short
like 16 pints i would guess

the fert burn may go away just by giving a little more water
and then letting the water drain out

you said you have got double buckets
please give as much water as it will drink up
bottom water if you can (soak for like a half hour or so)
then provide space and allow all excess water to drain out
do not leave the bottom of the plant's bucket fully wet(let it drip dry)

Alright I will soak it in my deep sink in my basement for a little while and let it drain. Will waterlogging the soil have any adverse affects to my plant?

for sure looks like fert burn but if you say your not using any that is odd. Doesn't look over watered. Someone said could be lack of calcium. That is possible. I use CalMag when I have that problem. Overall plant looks very healthy.

for sure looks like fert burn but if you say your not using any that is odd. Doesn't look over watered. Someone said could be lack of calcium. That is possible. I use CalMag when I have that problem. Overall plant looks very healthy.

Can watering with tap water cause this problem as well?

ok kite dude

first off your plant looks like it is growing pretty good

do not fall into the "i must be doing it wrong" thinking

you can make some small adjustments here and there and observe the results

if you have two or more of similar variety you can adjust one thing on some
and not adjust the others and see if you get increases in "performance"
(use one as a "control" and experiment like a mad scientist on the others)
most of the fun of growing is learning the hard way (and all of us do)
come on in there ain't no one here but us chickens

Back