• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Another reason for growing

I've always been interested in animals of all sizes, and small animals is one of the reasons I find growing so rewarding. Even the pests are interesting on their own even though I don't want them in my garden.

Anyway - I really just wanted an excuse for showing this picture of a little creature I would never have seen if I hadn't been out inspecting the buds on my poblano this morning.

spindel_liten.jpg

The stem it's sitting on is about 4 mm in diameter.

Tick or a small spider? Looks more like a tick to me. Got those front legs in the air with their little CO2 sensors, lookin for a hot meal!

It's a small spider. We don't have ticks here just yet, but if global warming is allowed to continue so the winters keep getting milder they might be able to survive here in another 15-20 years;)

POTAWIE said:
I thought Sweden had a growing tick population, you must be in the far North.

That is true, because the winters are getting milder. I live in a small place called Jokkmokk (check it out on Google maps) and we and our pets are still safe from those nasty critters.

lostmind said:
When you say small, you aren't lying :)

Looks like a very nice area though but there doesn't seem to be many houses.

Space it not a problem, but the lack of people means other problems. You can hardly buy anything but the essentials (groceries, gas, alcohol, pizza) locally, the closest place I know that have epsom salts is in Luleå about 100 miles away - I kick myself for not buying when I had the chance. I also keep tropical fish and the closest place to get supplies (food...) for them is about 65 miles away. You have to think a little differently and plan ahead, I can't just go out and buy something when I need it but have to buy stuff because I'll probably need it later.

Do I have to tell you that it was quite a change to move to Long Island when I was 17? :lol:

Back