• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

another tolerance thread.

Heya.

Yes, its tolerance, we all understand it, but I have a small observation.
For a long time I have struggled to increase my tolerance, every time the heat gets overwhelming I have resorted to drinking liquids, mostly milk.
I believe this may be an influence to building your tolerance, by stopping your nerves from adjusting altogether.

Last night I had some of my mexican hab powder, litterly like nothing, I really struggled, but I refused to douse it.
Tonight I had the powder again in 3x the proportions and it didn't come close to burning like it did last night. My question is:

Has anybody noticed a slower building tolerance only when they drink milk or something to ease the pain, with chillies.
It has opened my mind to a whole new ballgame of pain and spice, especially seeing I'm trying to grow a Jonah.

It's not something I've seen posted before, so I thought I'd add my .02c, and maybe its true or maybe it varies from person to person.

I haven't noticed any significant difference in drinking milk and how that influences how fast you build heat tolerance. I have noticed that not eating peppers reduces you tolerance which is pretty obvious. There was a period last year where I couldn't eat a lot of spicy foods and noticed a bit later that sauces that weren't hot before were pretty hot. I'm now able to eat whatever I want, so I whipped up a batch of wings on game day and coated them with my habanero sauce. They were hot, and the pain was great! :hell: My wife couldn't take how hot they were, so I got to eat her serving too! :lol:

I've been eating raw peppers/extracts off and on for years and the real key to handling the heat is just sitting as still as possible, and focusing on the heat. (meditating if you will)

I agree with you that drinking milk will not increase your heat tolerance. Possibly because it protects your cells from over exposer to the cap and doesn't fully "break into" the cells like it normally would have without milk.

Great explanation of what Capsaicin really does to us :hell: http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/features/capsaicin.shtml

Excerpt:

he perception that peppers are "hot" is not an accident. The capsaicin key opens a door in the cell membrane that allows calcium ions to flood into the cell. That ultimately triggers a pain signal that is transmitted to the next cell. When the cells are exposed to heat, the same events occur. Chile burns and heat burns are similar at the molecular, cellular, and sensory levels.

One expects that the long hydrocarbon tail will make capsaicin less water soluble than vanillin. This is indeed the case. Capsaicin is insoluble in cold water, but freely soluble in alcohol and vegetable oils. This is why drinking water after munching an habanero pepper won't stop the burning. A cold beer is the traditional remedy, but the small percentage of alcohol will not wash away much capsaicin. For relief from a chile burn, drink milk. Milk contains casein, a lipophilic (fat-loving) substance that surrounds and washes away the fatty capsaicin molecules in much the same way that soap washes away grease.

Plain and simple, when you eat hot stuff, dont try to calm the heat down with ANYTHING. Sit there and let 'er burn! Just MY opinion, but the fastest way to build a tolerance. It has nothing to do with being more macho. Its like people that lift weights...the more you lift, the bigger your muscles get, and the stronger you become. Drinking milk is like having a spotter, if you will. Sure, you're still lifting the weight, but not ALL of it.
Hope that makes sense...

Just about to own myself with the chillifactory jolokia paste aka devils delirium, oh yeah

edit: /sigh that was not ownage.....

I've noticed on all the video's of members eating peppers. The only
time they can actually taste the pepper is in the very beginning, which
is only maybe 10 seconds. The rest is all pain.

Back