• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Any opinions on Oasis Horticubes?

I've tried rapid rooters and have had great results so far. I saw one of the bigger growers/vendors using these horticubes on Facebook (don't remember who). They are basically the same principle as rapid rooters but I think they're made of a foam type material. Has anyone used them before? If so, what did you think?

This is where I'm going to order some from http://www.hydroshack.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Oasis+

Free shipping, can't beat that

I went out and found some local when I was trying to decide which medium to use in my NFT lettuce setup. The one thing that scared me off of these right away was how "crumbly" they were. As soon as you touch them, they begin to crumble. I think in most applications this wouldn't be an issue, but I didn't want to have to deal with this stuff clogging up my emitters and pumps.

I ended up going with rockwool cubes for about the same price.

I really think it just depends on what you are wanting to use them for. If you were just going to use them to germinate seeds, they will probably be ok.

like joshuap i have heard they work exceptionally well for lettuce atleast. my problem was finding smallish quantities?
seemed like you could only buy boxes of sheets. each sheet was 100+ from what i remember.

they are supposed to be very similar to the florist foam stuff they use to make flower arrangements.

Joshuap2000 said:
I have heard good things about it, never useed it one myself. I think kind Denniz is starting to use one, he text me about it few days ago.

person i use rapid rooters. http://www.hydroshack.com/rapid-rooter-replacement-plugs-qty-50-gh3255.htm
Thanks, I'll have to look through his glog to see what I can find about it. I use rapid rooters as well, I think they work great. Have several plants that went from seed all the way to adult in rapid rooters. Just wanted to try something different to see if there's anything better out there
theghostpepperstore said:
I went out and found some local when I was trying to decide which medium to use in my NFT lettuce setup. The one thing that scared me off of these right away was how "crumbly" they were. As soon as you touch them, they begin to crumble. I think in most applications this wouldn't be an issue, but I didn't want to have to deal with this stuff clogging up my emitters and pumps.

I ended up going with rockwool cubes for about the same price.

I really think it just depends on what you are wanting to use them for. If you were just going to use them to germinate seeds, they will probably be ok.
Hmm, well I definitely wouldn't be using it for hydro. I'm just wanting to put some seeds in them and see how they do. Yea I wouldn't want them to clog up my aeroponic or dwc bucket
queequeg152 said:
like joshuap i have heard they work exceptionally well for lettuce atleast. my problem was finding smallish quantities?
seemed like you could only buy boxes of sheets. each sheet was 100+ from what i remember.

they are supposed to be very similar to the florist foam stuff they use to make flower arrangements.
Yes most places do sale them in the large quantities. The place I linked to sells them by the sheet or 2 pack for around $20 with free shipping. I wasn't sure what size to go with so I ordered the 1.25" 104 cell 2 pack for 22$

like their facebook and click free stuff and they sent you one that has 6 in it for free.  I just gotone but haven't used it yet.  Kind of remind you of the blocky thing you find fake flowers attached toin the bottom of vases

i have great luck with them . I use them to start either seeds or cuttings and then go to hydro . they dont get as soaked as rockwool does .. i like them alot .

Love them. For the grower who tackles a few hundred plants or more that will be transplanted into soil, they are a godsend. Crumbly, sort of, but short germ times, ease of organization of varieties, and overall performance are excellent. I highly recommend horticubes.

Had great germ rates. Of my 70 MoA seeds I put. Over 60 germed. Only problem I hate is the crumbly. And it's hard to tell if its moist or dry since still crumbly. Hate the damn thing. 90% are doomed
null_zps11330137.jpg

Lots of variables however.

Still had heat mat on trying to get the other 10 to open. Dried quicker

They were seedlings which also sucked up more water.

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Had great germ rates. Of my 70 MoA seeds I put. Over 60 germed. Only problem I hate is the crumbly. And it's hard to tell if its moist or dry since still crumbly. Hate the damn thing. 90% are doomed
null_zps11330137.jpg

Lots of variables however.

Still had heat mat on trying to get the other 10 to open. Dried quicker

They were seedlings which also sucked up more water.
Dang denniz I actually like the crumble and here's why. I use the crumbley to cover the seeds. I fill the hole up a little so it's not as deep and then use tweezers to scratch up the surface of the cube and push the crumbles into the hole over the seeds. I too have had over 90% germ rates. No helmet heads either.

For the moisture, I just kept enough water in the tray to barely touch the bottom, thicker part of the cube. I have them on a heat pad also and a humidity dome on top. Once they sprout I cut that cube out and plant it.

I won't ever use anything else for germination again honestly

Back