• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

any suggestions

Whatever is causing this to happen it is happening to the majority of my plants. It is happening in all three different soils that I am using. I know that there has been discussions on curling leaves before but i think that this is an extreme case. Could this be a deficiency of some sort. Out of about 130 plants i would guess that over 100 are experiencing this to some degree. There is no visible sign of insects on any of the plants in question at least above the soil.

leafcurl.jpg

DCP_0224.jpg

DCP_0245.jpg

Okay due to past experience do not necessarily listen to me, but it looks like it may be phosphorus or calcium deficiency. Just read a report that not enough phos will cause short curled leaves. Check the PH of your soil if it gets too far away from neutral it can keep your plant from absorbing the phosphorus in the soil.

Take one of your plants to your local extension agent ASAP. You may have Cucumber Mosaic Virus, and that's not good.

thepodpiper said:
regardless of what this is should i start by cutting off all the affected areas?

Dale

I honestly don't know if that will help, but it can't hurt. Be sure you bag the parts you cut off and clean the clippers between plants.

If it is cucumber mosaic virus - and I've never seen it in peppers, only in tomatoes, so I could be way off base - aphids are what spread it, so treat all your peppers with some sort of insect spray.

Here's hoping I'm absolutely wrong.

thepodpiper said:
What about mites? anyone ever had mites?

Dale

As in spider mites? Sure, where I used to live they were a BIG problem. I lost a lot of ornamentals to spider mites.

do the photos remind you as to what they did to your plants? would the mites be on the leaves all day long or at night?

Dale

thepodpiper said:
do the photos remind you as to what they did to your plants? would the mites be on the leaves all day long or at night?

Dale

No, spider mite damage looks like the leaves have been sand blasted from underneath. They can get a bronze look, too, and you should be able to see some fine webs. The leaves don't distort like that, though.

They stay on the plants all the time.

I am going to my extension office first thing in the morning with a couple of plants I am fearing the worst. It does'nt look good.

Dale

After a day of research I would conclude that it is beet curly top virus or calcium/phosphorus deficiency. Hopefully the latter, but its the closest guess I can make by the pics and looking in every corner of the web.

Well I think the problem is solved I talked to the extension office and emailed her some photos. She immediatly ruled out virus because it was not isolated to nor did it start in any particular location in the garden which a virus normally does according to her. My problem was widespread throughout the peppers from the onset. She also said that a virus would spread somewhat slowly throughout the garden. So I am looking at this as good news.;) Time will tell. Thank you all for your responses. Her reply to the email is below

Hi, Excellent photos, and they certainly show the classic epinasty we would expect from a whiff of broadleaf herbicide containing 2,4-D. The fact the plants look so healthy otherwise makes me think they got a very small dose and there may be hope for many to survive, but it is likely at least some of the survivors will be stunted and unproductive. There is no genetic change, nor carry over of the problem in seeds, so if mature fruits and seeds are produced, you should be able to save the seeds. With a larger dose, even the older stems and leaves on the plants would show symptoms including yellowing, by now.
If you read the description on this site of herbicide injury, I think you will agree that your symptoms match, even if the photo shows a tomato leaf.
http://vegdis.cas.psu.edu/VegDisases/Identification_files/tomatoherb.htm#injury

Dale

Yay for no virus!!! Double yay for being wrong!!

You know, I looked at the herbicide damage pictures, but I figured you wouldn't have been using them. I didn't think about drift from someone else using herbicides. That would probably be why she gets paid as an extension agent and I only pontificate on teh Interwebs.

Well I have to confess to being the guilty party I evidently was not thinking when i decided to use weed and feed on the lawn. Important lesson learned. And a useful bit of info for all of us in the future if anyone else has these same symptoms.

Dale

ok now I have some funky leaves like what you posted, but they also kinda look like the Tobacco Mosaic & Cucumber Mosaic Viruses from that one link Podpiper posted but also like the pics about calcium deficiency. its confusing!

when you say go to a local extension office, whats that ? would they need to take a test sample or could they identify what the problem is right then & there, & should I bring in at least 2 plants ?

if its just calcium deficiency can I add some skim milk to the water with my liquid fertilizers instead of using bone meal since that has higher numbers which might burn the plants more when used with my other fertilizers I use.

chilehunter said:
when you say go to a local extension office, whats that ? would they need to take a test sample or could they identify what the problem is right then & there, & should I bring in at least 2 plants ?

Every state has a land grant college that maintains educational outreach programs and agents to assist farmers and home gardeners. You can find the closest one to you here:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/

If there isn't one near by, you can contact the Master Gardener's program and they can find someone nearer who can give you some help.

if its just calcium deficiency can I add some skim milk to the water with my liquid fertilizers instead of using bone meal since that has higher numbers which might burn the plants more when used with my other fertilizers I use.

Calcium has to be in a form the plant can easily take up and I don't think the calcium in milk would be readily available. I would use a complete liquid fertilizer to give the plants a quick shot of the calcium they need.

Back