• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Anybody else growing cannabis?

Uncle Eckley

Extreme Member
We've had legal homegrow in Virginia since the summer and I've been having a blast. I run a little 36x20x63 tent and have been able to provide a modest abundance for myself and some family. Just switched from a three-plant staggered autoflower cycle with individual reservoirs to one big reservoir so I can run autos or photos.
Anybody else post your rig?

20211222_210225.jpg

Last edited:
the only time I ever have cannabis outside the house is when I take little gram bags out with me to give away to folks I meet on my errands and such (Virginia law allows gifts of up to an ounce

In Canada here the same thing, and I love it! I've made many umm... barter trades for it too, including getting my kitchen redone for free labour. LOL

BTW, the wife and I just sold that kitchen and we're now in the new house. There are 52 pots of peppers outdoors that we transferred over to the new place! We decided to cash-out on the record high housing price and leave that nightmare we've put up with for so many years. Now we have a bit more room around the house than when we lived in the townhouse! We're getting chickens. Haha

So about the cannabis thing. In Canada we can only have on us 30 grams (a bit over an ounce) when out of the house. But anyone is allowed to grow 4 plants, and accumulate as many pounds or kilograms as they wish in their house. So my question is, WTF happens if you need to move? If I have to take it 60 grams at a time (wife and I each), the it would take years. LOL

Hey, congrats on the real estate win! Both of our houses' values are through the roof right now, too, but we won't be selling either of them this time around. The rental stands to make too much money over the next decades to justify the windfall now and we don't want to change daughter's schools.

So about the cannabis thing. In Canada we can only have on us 30 grams (a bit over an ounce) when out of the house. But anyone is allowed to grow 4 plants, and accumulate as many pounds or kilograms as they wish in their house. So my question is, WTF happens if you need to move? If I have to take it 60 grams at a time (wife and I each), the it would take years. LOL

It's still a bit undefined in Virginia right now. The state legislature punted most of the details to the newly-created Cannabis Control Authority, I think it's called - it's a parallel version of the state's alcohol control apparatus. They're supposed to work everything out before retail sale opens up (supposedly Jan 1st 2024, but subject to reenactment). Lots of unanswered questions like yours, especially for growers.

For example, we too may grow four plants, but what constitutes a plant? The original legislation from both the House and Senate allowed for two mature plants, two immature plants, and an unlimited number of seedlings without defining any of the three. Even that language was removed at some point, with the law as enacted allowing four plants, no definition. See, originally, or maybe still the idea was/is to allow retail shops to sell seedlings to spare growers that delicate stage of the process. Or, perhaps, and more cynically, to force growers to obtain their young plants or seeds from one of the shops. No version of the legislation I ever read addressed beans at all, leaving it illegal to obtain seeds in any way other than finding them in a bag. Of course, there are no beans in the only legally-obtainable flower available right now (that from a medical dispensary). This has given rise to the small(ish) worry that beans won't be addressed and growers will have no legal option but to buy seedlings from the retail shops.

Legal quantities are similarly sketchy. It is legal to possess up to one ounce, either in public or private. More than an ounce is a civil violation drawing a small fine and a stern talking to. A pound or more is a felony. Four plants is legal, more than four another civil violation, up to a certain number - ten, I think - which is also a felony. Adults 21 and over may legally gift up to an ounce to other adults 21 and over. Sale, trade, or barter is illegal, but I'm not sure about the penalties.

Taking it all as whole, from the earliest inception of the legislation to enactment of what stands today, all the holes still left, the pending work of the CCA.. The message is clear: don't fuck around and you won't have any problems or even any potential problems to worry about. I followed this legislation very closely all the way (and my doctor is a House Rep and a co-sponsor, so I had a little extra insight) and have been overjoyed at how exceedingly reasonable and fair, if somewhat incomplete, our new cannabis laws are. I've got a few little gripes about some of the things that went down along the way, certain aspects of the law that needn't be mentioned here, but the actual effect has been exactly what responsible cannabis folk have been longing for for decades.

Last edited:
NL is finally starting to turn. Will take her down once she's dried from the rain.

20220614_142817.jpg

Topped these two a couple days ago. They got their first nute swaps, train, and tuck today. Critical Purple (left) is quite vigorous - looking good!

20220614_142319.jpg

20220614_142312.jpg

@stettoman VERY nice! How's it smell?

I took down NL yesterday. It was a pretty crappy harvest. Big plant, but only somewhere between an ounce or two of flower to dry and cure. Several problems with this plant. This particular strain is slow - super slow for an auto. I never trained or lollipopped this plant, either, so I ended up with many, many branches that never should have been allowed to grow. On top of it all, I think this one just got too big for its britches - ~2.5-gallon reservoir is pretty small for a plant this big. Well, I learned some things and got some flower out of it, anyway.

While I'm typing, I've learned something else very important I should relate. I may have ruined my outside plants. I had always understood that it was the shortening days of late summer and autumn that trigger flowering in cannabis. Turns out this isn't true. It's just photoperiod, plain and simple. I put my plants outside on May 1 - after last frost. The days were still shorter than the nights and would be for another 7 weeks. So my plants acted like autos and flowered as soon as they were developed enough. I assumed I'd been given autos instead of photos by mistake since it would be some time before the days started shortening again. Now that they've clearly reverted to vegetative growth my mistake has become obvious.
I've got a couple options. I could let them go and just see what happens. The Critical Widow plant was only a few weeks away from being ripe. The other two weren't so far along. Or I could cut them down and start new ones; there's still time. I didn't go outside last year until July 1 and I got a couple ounces off a Purple Kush photo. I'll have to consult the oracle and any gurus whose attention I can get.

While I'm typing, I've learned something else very important I should relate. I may have ruined my outside plants. I had always understood that it was the shortening days of late summer and autumn that trigger flowering in cannabis. Turns out this isn't true. It's just photoperiod, plain and simple. I put my plants outside on May 1 - after last frost. The days were still shorter than the nights and would be for another 7 weeks. So my plants acted like autos and flowered as soon as they were developed enough. I assumed I'd been given autos instead of photos by mistake since it would be some time before the days started shortening again. Now that they've clearly reverted to vegetative growth my mistake has become obvious.
I've got a couple options. I could let them go and just see what happens. The Critical Widow plant was only a few weeks away from being ripe. The other two weren't so far along. Or I could cut them down and start new ones; there's still time. I didn't go outside last year until July 1 and I got a couple ounces off a Purple Kush photo. I'll have to consult the oracle and any gurus whose attention I can get.
Yes regular cannabis is photosensitive. Meaning the female will be triggered to grow the beginning stages of flowers or buds by shorter daylight hours. This happens around the summer solstice. It actually happens to most fruit and vegetable bearing plants and trees to signal reproduction for the survival of its species.
Your plants will go back to vegetative state for plant growth and soon change back to flower around June 21-22. You may end up with some funky looking bud sites but should be ok. give it a try and see what happens!

I'd always believed it was the shortening of the photoperiod - that plants germinated in the early spring wouldn't flower because the days are getting longer. Hey @Northwood, what happened with that volunteer bush you posted earlier? The days must have been pretty short up there when that guy sprouted. Did it flower before the solstice?

My weed is getting very leggy is this normal or do they need potting on? Or something doing to them?
How long before mine looks as good as Stettoman's? Rough ballpark number will do months/years?

My weed is getting very leggy is this normal or do they need potting on? Or something doing to them?
How long before mine looks as good as Stettoman's? Rough ballpark number will do months/years?

It's conceivable they could be starting to stretch for flowering (which is normal), but it's a tad early. I forget, are your plants outdoors?
If the leggy thing is new I'd say it's likely not due to inadequate light, which can also cause it, of course. There are likely some nutritional deficiencies that will cause legginess, too, but I'm afraid I can't say what they are.

Depending on what you're growing it could be anything from 60 days from sprout to harvest for an early auto to 150+ days for some photoperiod varieties.

Last edited:
@stettoman VERY nice! How's it smell?

Pungent. Skunky as hell. This arid Colorado air is drying the stuff quickly, I'll have a friend hit on this bud and report his "findings" soon enough.

I've gone ahead and cut the bulk of the rest, sure wish I'd thought of gloves...Everything is in a series of small brown paper bags and the tops rolled and crimped. There was "new" growth at the base of one plant, I decided to leave those in dirt, just to see...

All in all, I found this stuff a LOT easier to cultivate than my beloved Rocotos. If CO would let me grow more than three plants at a time I could make a buck or two...

apparently they should be a bit leggy before they go into their 3rd phase, although it looks like I should move them into more direct sunlight.

Back