• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic Anybody Ever Use "Just Natural Organic Potting Mix"? Any good

Sorry, I'm just chiming in here... If you're going to grow organically, you are money ahead to use your own amendments, if not completely build your own mix. You'll be due to amend any bagged mix in 2-3 months, anyway, so you might as well know exactly what's going into it.

That being said, if it's the same stuff that I've seen locally, I wouldn't use it without adding 20% perlite. And seeing what's in the mix, It's basically just peat, pine bark, and what they list as "forest products", which I assume is either compost, or else that's a placeholder meant to capture any uncomposted wood that might be in the mix.

I normally buy soil when I am in a jam, and avoid the stuff at all cost.   For so many years my garden was plagued by bugs...right up until i stopped using bagged soil in my garden.    I recently had to use some bagged soil to pot up some plants, and I regret not preparing better.   The plants I potted up into my own mix are miles ahead already.  Less shock, and already sprouting new growth. 

I bought a couple of bags of this stuff today and ordered some FF OCEAN FORREST and might try both to see how each one works. Sounds like I should get perlite either way.

Right now I have them in seed starting mix.

I haven't looked into making my own yet,I'm still trying to figure out all aspects of this.But it might be something I'll do before the season is over.

http://imgur.com/sjKqIJk

Thanks for the info.

I bought a couple of bags of this stuff today and ordered some FF OCEAN FORREST and might try both to see how each one works. Sounds like I should get perlite either way.

Right now I have them in seed starting mix.

I haven't looked into making my own yet,I'm still trying to figure out all aspects of this.But it might be something I'll do before the season is over.

http://imgur.com/sjKqIJk

Thanks for the info.
So, what I use that works really well, and I consider fairly cheap. By the way, I've arrived at this recipe after much testing and experimenting with different methods. (I got my start right here, just a few short years ago)

Equal parts of all of the following:

peat/coco coir mix (70/30)
compost (best you can make/buy)
pine bark fines
perlite

I just made about 12 cu ft of this mix for about $50. I even bought the compost. (my worms are still working for me)

That doesn't include the cost of amendments. I buy all of my other stuff on Amazon, and buy large quantities, so I get free shipping. It will cost you easily as much to add organic amendments, but the mix is good for several years, without question.

Solid7 is everything available at garden centers or
home depot? I'm not sure if i want that big of a project, seems like some stuff is hard to find.

What are a amendments? Im new to this

Canes1 said:
Solid7 is everything available at garden centers or
home depot? I'm not sure if i want that big of a project, seems like some stuff is hard to find.

What are a amendments? Im new to this
A lot of stuff that you can buy in big quantities is available at nurseries, not big box stores. Any retail chain is usually just about the worst place to buy about half of the potting mix components, in my experience. Example: I buy 4 cu ft bags of perlite for around $20 at my local nursery. I buy peat in compressed bales that expand to 4 cu ft of material for about $12. (that you can get at Lowes/Home Depot) Coconut Coir is available in 2 cu ft blocks for about $10. My local Walmart carries the pine bark fines in 2 cu ft (I think) bags for just under $3 each. I mix it all in cheap mixing trays from the cement aisle at Lowes.

Amendments are what you'd add in place of fertilizer, if you want to keep things "organic". Things like rock dusts, soft rock phosphate, greensand, and different types of meals. (blood, alfalfa, kelp, etc) If you're new to this, it's a big subject. You kind of have to be a committed gardner to go the organic route. If this is a phase you're going through, probably best to stick to bags, and use synthetic fertilizers, per the package instructions. If you're really interested, lots of info available, but this being pepper specific, I figured I'd mention it.

Bought everything I need except perlite and the Coco at Walmart, ughhh I know but they had everything there and cheap.

Solid7 thanks again for the help,I going with your recipe but might add potting soil to it after reading on soils,want to keep it simple for now.

Canes1 said:
Bought everything I need except perlite and the Coco at Walmart, ughhh I know but they had everything there and cheap.

Solid7 thanks again for the help,I going with your recipe but might add potting soil to it after reading on soils,want to keep it simple for now.

Yeah, I wouldn't add any soil to that mix.  Get some Dr. Earth organic fertilizer for tomatoes and vegetables, and then some Azomite, (rock dust) and you'll be set.  You won't need to add anything.  Later on, when you get a feel for it, you can mix your own fertilizer/amendments in larger quantities.

By the way, if you're going straight organic, you don't have to mix the peat and coco.  You can just use either one.  Peat works just fine.  I just like the structure and texture of coco better.

Back