• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Anybody grow sprouts?

For a while I've wanted to start growing sprouts indoors to add to my healthy diet but I just got into researching this recently when I starting making spring rolls. It appears very simple to do, and they are said to be the healthiest foods on the planet. Anybody have any personal experience with growing these? I know there's lots of info on the net and youtube but I was hoping for some discussion.
I'm just starting out with a canning jar and some mesh or screen and some seeds. Now I just need to find an organic source for the sprout seeds, and decide what type I want.

Mung are the easiest I think. I have made entire salads with mung sprouts. But I think if you eat them every day you are supposed to lightly steam them, as daily diet of mung raw isn't healthy.

I tried soy but they turned to mush. Many sprouts don't get very big like mung, so you don't get the "1/8 cup makes a pound" thing.

My fave sprouter for mung is EasySprout and Here is a Better Picture of EasySprout.

OK, what are sprouts? I played a game by that name in college (read Asimov's Trilogy for indoctrination) but never ate them. Are they simply very youg plants?

Mike

wordwiz said:
OK, what are sprouts? I played a game by that name in college (read Asimov's Trilogy for indoctrination) but never ate them. Are they simply very youg plants?

Mike
Sprouts are highly nutritious seedlings before they get their second set of leaves which is when they become baby greens. Commonly used sprouts include: Mung bean, alfalfa, clover, barley, sunflower, radish, soybean, and many others.

Back