Anyone else tried the Trinidad Hood?

So I have this thing for Caribbean chili - besides the 7 Pots and Scorpions there are loads of other Capsicum chinense landraces in Trinidad that most growers haven't heard about.  I have been trying to lay my grubby paws on them but without much success.  So imagine my surprise when a dude gives me four ripe Hood (and two proper Xalapas!!!! Woohoo) to try out - he knows someone who knows someone who grew them commercially and they were not well received so he ditched the project.  I wasn't going to ask any Q's.  I was just super happy to finally have it.

First off: it is a very attractice pod - about the same diameter as wide (approx. 5cm x 5cm), very glossy and bright to deep red.  Very thick flesh - almost 5mm thick.  And that typical Trinidadian chinense smell - very aromatic.

So, thinking that it is a Scotch Bonnet derivative I cut a big fat chunk - oh dear!  I notice the very thick placenta and it is that hideous deep orange covered in oil - but it does not spread all over the inner wall like a Douglah for example.  How bad can this be.

Very!  This burnt the hell out of me - one of the worst burns I have ever experienced - up there with a Douglah in terms of full frontal assault.  I was reduced to a foot-stomping, excessively salivating, heavy breathing, sorry ass punk.  I really was feeling sorry for myself.  There was a wave of nausea which ptrompted me to drink a glass of apple juice - the only thing that works for me - it also reduces the cramping.  Only a Douglah has done this to me before.  I didn't even taste the thing - it was just BOOM :onfire: !  Dammit it is :hot:

I can't say if I really like it - it is not as flavousome as a Red 7 but goodness me it has a brutal burn.  My tongue was numb/burnt to toast for at least 3 hours afterwards. 

Hopefully I will find a use for it - I removed all the flesh and have it macerating with 20 Primo - let's see if it will make a good sauce. I'm quite scared.

Unfortunately I cut them up to get the seed.  You can check out pics here:

Roberts C, Adams H and Mohammed K. [2008]. Hot pepper seed production. St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago: Caribbean Agricultural Research and Development Institute. Brochure. Contents: CARDI Green hot pepper cultivar. Development of an improved hot pepper variety “ West Indies Red”.

Back