• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Anyone else using coffee grounds or tea as an insecticide?

I've been mulching my plants with coffee grounds and dumping old coffee over the plants and it has definitely been helping with whitefly and aphids. It's not 100% effective, but it has helped to reduce the severity of infestations. Anyone else tried this?

Sorta...
Coffee grounds are high acidic and may throw off the PH in your soil. However most people have water PH of about 8 so a little acid may help.

I don't think it is a good Idea to do a lot of it. For sure I give you Kudos for trying an organic method! +1

I think compost tea will give you better results and be much more beneficial to your plants. One thing that I do with coffee grounds is make Fly traps out of bottles and fill them with coffee.
The bugs like the smell and will go to them but the coffee will kill them. Coffee does great in a compost pile or as a food for a worm bin. Not one filter of coffee goes in the trash at my house.
I like to use the Brown Coffee filters as they are the same price, do the same thing, but are Biodegradable and make a good carbon source for compost.

It's best not to give them the coffee (beverage) itself, that can cause coffee oil buildup on the leaves and in soil.

Sorta...
Coffee grounds are high acidic and may throw off the PH in your soil. However most people have water PH of about 8 so a little acid may help.

I don't think it is a good Idea to do a lot of it. For sure I give you Kudos for trying an organic method! +1

I think compost tea will give you better results and be much more beneficial to your plants. One thing that I do with coffee grounds is make Fly traps out of bottles and fill them with coffee.
The bugs like the smell and will go to them but the coffee will kill them. Coffee does great in a compost pile or as a food for a worm bin. Not one filter of coffee goes in the trash at my house.
I like to use the Brown Coffee filters as they are the same price, do the same thing, but are Biodegradable and make a good carbon source for compost.

Yes ph can be a problem in some soils, but our water ph is notoriously high, as is our soil ph, as we are on almost pure limestone here.

I used coffee grounds on my okra and it does seem to help against aphids but like you said it's not 100% effective. How thick a layer did you use?

Here the soil PH is around 7 the compost bin gets all the coffee grounds then the compost is put under the top layer, I mix my potting soil with 40% peat, plants seem to love it.

I have had good luck using coffee grounds as a solution for ants. Last year we had an invasion of fire ants into parts of our garden. One week of pouring the morning coffee grounds on the mound and the ants were gone. The coffee doesn't kill them, but it will drive them away.

I used coffee grounds on my okra and it does seem to help against aphids but like you said it's not 100% effective. How thick a layer did you use?

I just add a layer about 1/2 inch or so, the rest I spread around the garden on other plants, pretty much everything, haven't ever seen detrimental effects, but like I said, we do have abnormally high ph here.

Back