• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Anyone Ever Grown Tomatillos?

AJ,

I'm going to plant a couple of Tomatillo Verde plants, mainly for use in salsa. If you think your plants look leggy, you don't even want to see mine. Yours look beautiful (or handsome, if they are male plants).

Linda loves fried green tomatoes, wonder how she will feel about fried green tomatillos, though they will be green when ripe!

Mike

These are Tomatilla Verdes and some Tomatilla Gigantes too...

My Linda likes them...or at least she said she did...

AJ,

We'll compare notes later this year! I'm not that worried about volunteers - I still get cherry tomato plants from some I planted five years ago.

FWIW, I've been getting volunteer "herb" plants for the last three years. Now I understand why a guy who had to eat some dirt while a 30.06 was pointed at his head showed back up at 3 am looking for his "cell phone." What's scary is I don't find a couple of these plants until the end of summer when I pull up the tomato plants. It would be my luck Simon (our local sheriff) would fly over in his helicopter with his infrared cameras and spectomographs and destroy my garden looking for a plant the day after I found it and added it to the compost pile!

Mike

I grew 2 plants last year they flowered like crazy two or three times never saw a fruit so I yanked em. They were huge plants. Why do they not set fruit? any ideas?

Dale

thepodpiper said:
I grew 2 plants last year they flowered like crazy two or three times never saw a fruit so I yanked em. They were huge plants. Why do they not set fruit? any ideas?

They had these HUGE anxieties about some dude coming along and yanking them out of the ground.

Pam said:
They had these HUGE anxieties about some dude coming along and yanking them out of the ground.

Cruel, very cruel!

But if they are like eggplants, I understand. All summer long, beautiful plants, no fruit. Then in September, fruits.

Mike

Pam said:

They may have heard me mumbling about produce or else a few times...OK more than a few times.

Dale

wordwiz said:
AJ,

We'll compare notes later this year! I'm not that worried about volunteers - I still get cherry tomato plants from some I planted five years ago.

FWIW, I've been getting volunteer "herb" plants for the last three years. Now I understand why a guy who had to eat some dirt while a 30.06 was pointed at his head showed back up at 3 am looking for his "cell phone." What's scary is I don't find a couple of these plants until the end of summer when I pull up the tomato plants. It would be my luck Simon (our local sheriff) would fly over in his helicopter with his infrared cameras and spectomographs and destroy my garden looking for a plant the day after I found it and added it to the compost pile!

Mike

I'm confused.

You have volunteer "herb" plants - I assume the type that iggy prefers - and you had a stranger visit your property and you pulled a thirty odd six out and chased him off... then he came back at 3 am to look for his cell? Did he survive the 3 am visit?

How did the "herb" volunteers get there?

Lost,

Yep, you pretty much nailed it.

The story: One evening in summer we heard what sounded like gunshots down the street. Not firecrackers but the distinct sound of pistols. We called 911 as there were weird things going on down there before.

A few minutes later, my son comes running down from upstairs saying he had seen someone in our backyard. I grabbed a weapon and Shaun grabbed his 30.06 and when I saw the guy, I calmly suggested he start eating dirt while laying on his stomach. (It was an area of the yard where I had a swimming pool but had not finished filling in and turning into a garden.) Called 911 again and brought the guy to the side of the house where we had plenty of light. About 10 minutes later (this is now around 1 am) the cops finally showed up, questioned the guy and some friends who stopped by, then let him go.

I went to bed but at about 3:00 am the guy shows back up and asks my wife and son if it is OK to search the yard, that he lost his cell phone. They watched him search but he couldn't find it. Not sure why no one tried to dial the number - apparently they aren't as logical as me.

That fall and the following spring I filled in the area, tilled it and sowed seeds or added plants. I noticed all these weeds that looked like pot and presumed it was some look-alike plant. Just cut them out with a hoe. The next year, there were some more, though not as many. I let a couple grow until they had a few leaves, plucked them, let them dry and then burnt them. Yep, one cannot mistake the smell of a particular herb that Iggy likes.

Last year, I saw a couple that I removed but apparently missed a couple of others. They grew around potatoes and tomatoes and got about two feet tall until I noticed them.

What's scary is that I stopped a group of people who belong to the Citizens on Patrol Program, residents who are trained to be the eyes and ears of the police department. A couple of them had read about my gardening and wanted to see it. I can only imagine if they had found pot plants them believing the story I've just posted!

My presumption is the guy lost a bag of seeds and over time, with tilling the garden both east/west and north/south I managed to spread them around, or the bag or sack they were in came open and they got scattered.

If any come up this year I'll take pictures (but not post them for a few days - until they are buried in with grass clippings and such!). Otherwise, I can see Iggy taking a road trip south.

Mike

Mike...that's Guerilla Gardening at its finest....

great story...

Back