Anyone Ever Heard of Petin (puh-TEEN) Peppers?

I know, probably "Tepin" peppers. Here's the story:

I went to my parents house for a visit on my birthday and was talking to my dad about all of the peppers I am growing and how the garden area is developing. I brought him a few peppers too.

Somehow we got to talking about the Tepins I have started and he said when they lived in Texas he liked a wild pepper called a Peteen (not sure of spelling but that's what him and my mom both called it) and how they were really hot. I asked him if he meant Tepin and they said no, "Peteen". I then though they might have meant pequin (puh-KEEN) because that sounds similar, but that being a cultivar I am not sure if it was around 30 years ago.

I am asking because I want to grow a few plants to give to him and want to make sure it is actually the right thing. It is important to him for sentimental reasons because he loves Texas so much he wants to be buried somewhere there.

I am pretty sure we are talking about the same thing because he said they are little round red berries.

Thirty years can do a lot to your memory so they probably meant Tepin.

So, maybe someone from Texas or anyone of you have heard of a "Peteen" pepper? If not I am sure he will be just as happy thinking it is the same thing.

Thank you.

Tepins, pequins, chiletepins, petins, piquins, chilepequins, etc. I've heard about a million names for the wild red birdseye peppers native to Texas and the surrounding area. 

willard3 said:
The people who complain of either tepins or piquins haven't grown many. I don't have any trouble with germination and have plenty of fruit in 90 days or so. Tepins are an extremely hardy plant and hard to kill.

In Mexico, piquin as a name serves for either tepin or piquin and just means small. Tepins frequently have a local name also, but say piquin.

Texas Bird peppers are a tepin, but the fruit is pointy and small.

Piquins are generally grown commercially in Mex and tepins are picked from wild plants.

From the countless discussions I've seen online the generally accepted definition is "chiletepins/tepins" are the ones that are spherical & "pequins/piquins/chilepequins" are the ones that are slightly pointy. 

EDIT:
Hey PD forgot to mention I'm growing chiletepins this year that are purportedly from Wimberly, TX, if you want I can send a few pods/seeds your way when they start ripening up. I have one growing at a friend's house that is the only pepper plant on his property so they should breed true.

Hell, I'm planning on building an aero cloner soon & if that works out I may even have a rooted cutting with your name on it.

Tepins/Pequins are my favorite peppers too so I'd love to help a homesick Texan out! 

EDIT2:

Got some cool cats keeping an eye on the isolated plant for you. I need to kick my friend's ass for not transplanting that thing yet, the one in my 5 gallon bucket dwarfs it:

TeRLrdCl.jpg

I think that you could probably call wild Texas varieties a Landrace variety or varieties.
A lot of the different ones have grown to have differences , probably due to the area they adapted to.

Texas wild seed names I've run across over the years.

Chile Tepin,Chiltepin,Chile Petine,Texas Bird(Tepin),Texas Black(Pequin,goes from green to black to red),Texas Wild(Pequin),Tarrant County Pequin and generic Texas wilds..

Some look almost alike,others have some kind of subtle difference in growth pattern,pod looks etc.,heat and or taste.

I wouldn't bundle them up as just another Tepin or Pequin.

As I said,I consider them as landrace varieties that probably came from Mexico or wherever.
I can see the different names due to where they might have come from originally-In Guatemala they call a version of Tepin or pequin a Chiltepe.
I have 2 versions of Chiltepe.One is round podded the other is teardrop shaped.
In Guatemala they are both called chiltepe.
They grow wild there.Wild ones were the source of my seeds at the time.

Might be where the name Chiltepin originated...

Back