• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Anyone ever seen Tepin like these?

I have several Tepin plants this year, all started from seed from the same source.  Most of them have pods that looks like the standard Tepin I see when I google images of them (this is the first year I have actually grown them): round light yellowish pods that ripen red. However, two of the plants have more elongated pods, looking more like mini Jalepeno.  And these pods start off green and ripen red.  At first I thought they were just that, mini jalepenos that got mixed in, either through cross pollination or mixing of the seeds.  However the one Jalepeno trait they definitely don't have is corking.  Flavor is great, nice and hot with some sweetness.  Below are a couple pictures.

tWUWQ9x.jpg

ouKT6xG.jpg

Looks like a cross maybe. What other peppers are planted near or next to it? Cool looking peppers. I've found not all Jalapeños get the corking. Also some crosses take on certain traits from one or the other.

OCD Chilehead said:
Looks like a cross maybe. What other peppers are planted near or next to it? Cool looking peppers. I've found not all Jalapeños get the corking. Also some crosses take on certain traits from one or the other.
I've got quite a mix of peppers near/next to these plants.  Basically in this grow space I have two rows of plants as follows:

Row 1 (Right to Left): Tepin (the one in the pic), Odham Indian, Thai Sun, Birds Eye, Cumari, Thai Sun, Tepin (the other one in question, same pods as the one in the pic), Odham Indian

Row 2 (Right to Left): Carolina Reaper, Moruga Scorpion, Carolina Reaper, Moruga Scorpion, Carolina Reaper, Moruga Scorpion

Can someone give me a refresher on cross pollination?  I thought that it only affected the seeds of the cross pollinated fruit, but not the actual fruit, and that it would only be when you planted the cross pollinated seeds that you would see the differing traits, no?

BB

BurninBob said:
I've got quite a mix of peppers near/next to these plants.  Basically in this grow space I have two rows of plants as follows:

Row 1 (Right to Left): Tepin (the one in the pic), Odham Indian, Thai Sun, Birds Eye, Cumari, Thai Sun, Tepin (the other one in question, same pods as the one in the pic), Odham Indian

Row 2 (Right to Left): Carolina Reaper, Moruga Scorpion, Carolina Reaper, Moruga Scorpion, Carolina Reaper, Moruga Scorpion

Can someone give me a refresher on cross pollination?  I thought that it only affected the seeds of the cross pollinated fruit, but not the actual fruit, and that it would only be when you planted the cross pollinated seeds that you would see the differing traits, no?

BB
yeah, the seed you planted must have been a cross or mislabeled, where did you get it from?

juanitos said:
yeah, the seed you planted must have been a cross or mislabeled, where did you get it from?

I got them from a seller on ebay, sellallday001.  This seller has a 100% feedback rating.  just to be clear, I'm not upset with the peppers/seller, they are pretty hot and taste nice. I'm just curious for suggestions as to what may have happened

Back