• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Anyone ever seen this ?

Got a bunch of plants going these days I had one tray that got burnt (rookie mistake) well they are starting to come back around and mind you they are just babes, tonight while I was looking at them I noticed this one, though it's small it's already forking at the top .. is this common? Should I prune it or just let it go?

IMG_5786.jpg

I think that's good. I have a red hab like that; should make a bushy plant.

I wouldn't prune it. It should branch out very nicely. Has some burn there but other than that it looks good.

Looks good to me. If you wish to prune your plants, do it when they get a little bigger and start throwing out early flower buds. Also, I recommend pruning Annuums when they get tall, especially the ones that push up an inch between each new leaf node. Even if the stalk is strong, the side-branching stems may become stressed when peppers start forming on them.

Looks good to me. If you wish to prune your plants, do it when they get a little bigger and start throwing out early flower buds. Also, I recommend pruning Annuums when they get tall, especially the ones that push up an inch between each new leaf node. Even if the stalk is strong, the side-branching stems may become stressed when peppers start forming on them.

Humm thanks just started a bunch of Annuums and they are such fast growers perhaps pruning is a way to slow em down?

If you prune it, the plant will branch again. Allow your plants to grow......enjoy them.

Am enjoying them just never seen one split so early.

The sun can burn pepper plants in Oregon? Better yet the sun shines there? We Floridians can spot a Northerner within a few seconds, they wear funny clothes and have a pinkish tint, this does not apply to all races, just the pale ones. Don't sweat the brown, stuff that plant looks really nice.

Humm thanks just started a bunch of Annuums and they are such fast growers perhaps pruning is a way to slow em down?

No, it's not really going to slow them down, but it will encourage the plant to bush out with more lower branches, and every side branch you cut, 2-4 more will shoot off from the apex of each leaf node to encourage sturdier growth. I highly recommend this if your plants are getting tall, but only if they have 6 or more sets of leaves. You don't want to stress out too young of a seedling with pruning, but if they are 6 inches tall or more, and have say 8 sets of leaves, it wouldn't hurt to prune a few off the top of the plant. If you exercise caution when pruning, and do it periodically when the plant gets tall for the amount of foliage it has, than there will be less stress on the plant when it finally starts fruiting. As a bonus, if fed properly after this, it will put out a lot more peppers, since there is more compact foliage growth and the plant can photosynthesize more rapidly. Another thing with that vein of introspection is that the plant becomes a lot stronger and won't become stressed trying to support heavy (comparatively speaking) fruits on a fairly tall plant.

Look at the apexes (where the leaf stem branches off the stalks), and if there are little buds forming, that's when you know that the pruning is working, since those will start to grow much more rapidly once you prune the tops of the plants. Some plants do the bushy growth all by themselves, and when pruning those, they get so bushy that it's dumbfounding to see it grow like that! I have a few C.Chinense that love doing that, as well as some C.Annuums that do it. I still pruned them, and the new leaf nodes are starting to take off fast!

No, it's not really going to slow them down, but it will encourage the plant to bush out with more lower branches, and every side branch you cut, 2-4 more will shoot off from the apex of each leaf node to encourage sturdier growth. I highly recommend this if your plants are getting tall, but only if they have 6 or more sets of leaves. You don't want to stress out too young of a seedling with pruning, but if they are 6 inches tall or more, and have say 8 sets of leaves, it wouldn't hurt to prune a few off the top of the plant. If you exercise caution when pruning, and do it periodically when the plant gets tall for the amount of foliage it has, than there will be less stress on the plant when it finally starts fruiting. As a bonus, if fed properly after this, it will put out a lot more peppers, since there is more compact foliage growth and the plant can photosynthesize more rapidly. Another thing with that vein of introspection is that the plant becomes a lot stronger and won't become stressed trying to support heavy (comparatively speaking) fruits on a fairly tall plant.

Look at the apexes (where the leaf stem branches off the stalks), and if there are little buds forming, that's when you know that the pruning is working, since those will start to grow much more rapidly once you prune the tops of the plants. Some plants do the bushy growth all by themselves, and when pruning those, they get so bushy that it's dumbfounding to see it grow like that! I have a few C.Chinense that love doing that, as well as some C.Annuums that do it. I still pruned them, and the new leaf nodes are starting to take off fast!

A lot of good info thanks !!

Back