• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Anyone familiar with this site and this chart?

In a discussion about hot sauces, and specifically Dave's Insanity Sauce, on another forum someone posted this site 
http://ushotstuff.com/hotSauceHeatScale.htm

I have no idea who this site is or how they determined the SHU in the table. I see Dave's Insanity Sauce Sauce listed twice, once as 51k and again as 175k SHU, that makes me suspicious. I am surprised at how low the SHU are for some sauces.

In addition to asking is this table accurate, I wonder if hot peppers lose a lot of their SHU when cooked into a sauce? Also is there a table of SHU that this site recommends for peppers and hot sauces I can bookmark?  

Thanks.

tjg911 said:
In a discussion about hot sauces, and specifically Dave's Insanity Sauce, on another forum someone posted this site 
http://ushotstuff.com/hotSauceHeatScale.htm

I have no idea who this site is or how they determined the SHU in the table. I see Dave's Insanity Sauce Sauce listed twice, once as 51k and again as 175k SHU, that makes me suspicious. I am surprised at how low the SHU are for some sauces.

In addition to asking is this table accurate, I wonder if hot peppers lose a lot of their SHU when cooked into a sauce? Also is there a table of SHU that this site recommends for peppers and hot sauces I can bookmark?  

Thanks.

Uncle Steve's website has been around for awhile and in looking at how they came to these SHU numbers:

"In Compton's method, the capsaicinoids are adsorbed onto multi-walled carbon nanotube (MWCNT) electrodes. The team measures the current change as the capsaicinoids are oxidised by an electrochemical reaction, and this reading can be translated into Scoville units.

The technique is called adsorptive stripping voltammetry (ASV), and is a relatively simple electrochemical method. Compton says, "ASV is a fantastic detection technique for capsaicinoids because it's so simple - it integrates over all of the heat creating constituents because all of the capsaicinoids have essentially the same electrochemical response.""

And a quick of this "measuring method" comes up short and I wonder if it ever received a patent? I'd take that chart with a a unit of Scoville and wonder if it was measuring capsonoids from the extract Blair's was famos for adding to achieve its notoriety: The hotter sauces have pepper extract added for additional heat.

Back