• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Anyone got a good ketchup recipe?

Anyone have a good ketchup recipe? I have tons of tomatoes coming off right now and I know some of you make your own ketchup so.....Share with the ignorant (me).

I'd be interested as well. The internet yields several useful results, although they're all for dealing with massive amounts of tomatoes, a problem I won't be having till harvest time and have never had before.. I make ketchups in batches of like 3 tomatoes and that leaves a lot of stuff open to variation.

I think you'll find 2 different major types.
The vinegar ketchups and the fermented ketchups. Maybe there's also Salty ketchup? IDK.

I prefer to blend my tomatoes, seeds and skins intact and then boil it off till it's thickened while adding sugar and spices. If I'm doing a vinegar ketchup, I cook the vinegar in with the tomatoes.. if I'm not, I add a probiotic capsule when it's cool.  I am winging it more often than not.

What varieties of Tomatoes are you using?

Spicy Chipotle Ketchup
6 oz can tomato paste
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp chipotle paste (or more to taste) you can find it in a tube - or mince Chipotles in Adobo
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp onion powder 1/8 tsp garlic powder
Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat; whisk until smooth.
When it comes to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often.
Remove from heat and cover until cool. Chill and store refrigerated in a covered container.

Back