• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

anyone grow asparagus?

here are my asparagus, only one stalk has come out it is about 6 inches now
. does anyone know if they need moist soil?what kinda nutrient/fertilizer? do you prune them for a while?
428900_3242274730304_1069905894_33011741_763725512_n.jpg

Hmm, ive got about 160 seedlings on the go right now (first year growing them) some seedlings are past my waist (Homer type waist) they like free draining soil so don't go drowning them.

As a newbie grower but have done loads of reading, they like a free draining soil,
they like to be fed as well (hungry MTF) these things really do eat all you can chuck at them.

Again from reading, you wont see a decent crop until the 3rd year & they can live for 20 to 30 yrs.

esp1-1.jpg

esp2.jpg

esp1.jpg

Mezo.

I should have also said, is that male or female? the female give red berries when they flower, throw them away you are looking for the male plant, yes you chop them back just before winter & then they grow back in spring time.

Mezo.

I have some asparagus... They occupy one end of last years garden. Treated them the same as my peppers, and they seemed to thrive... Of course, this is only my second year, so I'm not looking for a harvest until next year.

I have some in the ground from last year, but they're still not doing enough to be worth harvesting yet. Oh well. Whoever moves into the place next will be in for a surprise next spring.

Back