• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone grow Rocoto's in Virginia

Seem to do fine a little further South in Birmingham. Aji largos put out pods like there's no tomorrow. I've harvested about a dozen giant yellows and giant reds and have loads of green pods waiting to ripen (which does seem to take forever however). The plants get full sun in the morning and are in the shade after about 12-ish. 

Crazy Monkey said:
Seem to do fine a little further South in Birmingham. Aji largos put out pods like there's no tomorrow. I've harvested about a dozen giant yellows and giant reds and have loads of green pods waiting to ripen (which does seem to take forever however). The plants get full sun in the morning and are in the shade after about 12-ish. 

Thanks.  I read that they like cooler climates and with a decent temperature swing from day to night.  I imagine Birmingham don't fit those conditions so maybe I'll give them a try.  Just gotta find a shady afternoon spot.

Aji Oro grew fine in STL and we had a heckuva wet year. The plant sat in pretty much full sun all day. A tiny bit cooler than last year. Mine even went out a bit late and still did very well. Pods are damn tasty too.

Im convinced a large day vs night temp difference makes a huge improvement in production. We had tons of nights in the 60F range with mid 80F days and low/mid 70s when days temps did get into the 90Fs.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Aji Oro grew fine in STL and we had a heckuva wet year. The plant sat in pretty much full sun all day. A tiny bit cooler than last year. Mine even went out a bit late and still did very well. Pods are damn tasty too.

Im convinced a large day vs night temp difference makes a huge improvement in production. We had tons of nights in the 60F range with mid 80F days and low/mid 70s when days temps did get into the 90Fs.
I tried to google the Aji Oro and didn't find that specific pepper.  Does it have another name perhaps?

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Yeah, I grow lots and lots of rocotos in Virginia. You just have to try growing several varieties, to see what works well in your area. There are a good 10 or so Pube varieties that I've found to truly thrive here in NoVa.

OK so there is good luck in Birmingham, St Louis and NoVa so I will give them a go.  Now to just pick a few to try.

Aji Oro, Aji Largo, Gelbe Riesen, Guatemalan Red Rocoto, Rocoto Arequipeño, Giant Red Arequipa Rocoto, Ecuadorian Red Rocoto, Turbo Pube, Santa Natalia, Rocoto Peru Cusco, and Mini Red Rocoto are some of the varieties that are very productive for me in NoVA

My super minis did good this year also but i started them inside late last year. The Aji Oro i started just like all my other peppers and it cranked. Get them outside as early as you can. As long as it dont frost you are fine.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
My super minis did good this year also but i started them inside late last year. The Aji Oro i started just like all my other peppers and it cranked. Get them outside as early as you can. As long as it dont frost you are fine.

Not finding info for the Aji Oro.  Or seeds.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
I did a google search but only using aji oro.  Using your link it seems only arcticchili, which is in Norway has info and chilifee.de has info.  

texas_pepper_man said:

Yeah, thanks I looked there but didn't see the "aji oro".  I'm wondering if it is the same as one of the other rocoto's.  

Same here.  Trying a lot of different peppers.  If you find Aji Oro seeds from a dealer, let me know.  Either I have over looked them or can only find the Arctic Chili place in Norway or the ChiliFee place in Germany.  I may end up ordering from one of them.

Edited to correct autocorrect.

Back