trade Anyone happen to have HOPS for trade/SASBE?

Despite this forum being pepper-based, I figure some of you hot heads are also hop-heads, lol. I'm not sure of the difference between the types of hops although I do know there's quite a few. My brother wanted to try starting a hop garden, so I'm not looking for anything special. If you have any types willing to trade or SASBE, PM me. My profile also has what I have to trade as well as far as peppers go, thanks a bunch.

My advice would be to get something you will like right away. Hops live for 25+ years and they produce less the first 1 or 2 years. They are started with rhizomes and they apparently will spread very quickly all over your garden so be aware! (I'm not sure much you know so sorry if you knew this!)

I am assuming your brother wants to grow Hops for homebrewing? Get some Cascade or other flavorful hops. High alpha acids hops (bittering hops) are kind of useless to grow since you can't measure their acid %.

Anyways, hops are really amazing to grow so good luck to you!

Thanks Tom, nope, didn't know they were that invasive, I always thought they would just be more difficult to grow since I'm a Zone 7, but if you're in Canada and have so much hops knowledge I guess it stands a chance in my zone, lol. And if I had to guess, yeah he probably wants them for homebrewing, but neither of us have made a batch in a couple of years, plus growing hops just to mill or process them or what have you seems more of a pain. Still, he asked me and he knows I have a hydrofarm started, so I figure I'll either tell him that the guys on this site told me not to bother, or I'll humor him with getting some seeds.

Stickman, I'm down for a few seeds, not sure if Hallertauers are more for bittering or flavoring, but I'll PM you.

Just so you know they are reproduced by cutting rhizomes (a root). I don't know if they produce seeds I have never heard of hops seeds but maybe. In cany case, Hallertau is a great hops it is one of the "noble" hops used in lagers and originating from Eastern Europe or Germany if I am not mistaken. It is a good flavoring variety, although it is more "earthy" and subtle than American hops like Cascade or Amarillo. Those tend to be more citrusy.

As for processing I have tried drying hops myself and had success (just with a fan but a dehydrator would probably be a lot more efficient).
However the variety I had planted wasn't very interesting for homebrewing so I never got around to use them in a batch before they went bad.

I'd refer you to this subforum it contains a lot of information: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/

I hope that helps!

TomStew

edit: They do produce seeds but you really want to have female plants that will produce a lot of cones hence why rhizomes is the best way to go since you clone the plant and you are 100% sure it will be a female.

You might also want to find a trellis or something similar as some varieties can grow up to 20 feet high!
Hops+Tissue+Sampling+2010+009.jpg

Nice. Yeah I figured they have seeds. I ordered calla lily bulbs the past 2 summers, and some of the flowers grew what looked like a corn on the cob in the center of the cone, so I have calla seeds. After all, things have to start as a seed right? :P. The rhizome is its own plant, when a seed of a calla is planted, it forms a mini bulb. given until end of summer, that bulb will form and it will be its own plant, but they definitely do start from seed, so perhaps that's the case with all bulb type plants, just planting bulbs is already guaranteeing a mature plant and a faster growth start up time. I'll look into other hops as well, I have a dehydrator but does the female produce cones and the cones are what you dehydrate? Or do the cones need to pollinate somehow and thus you may need males around too?

As far as polination goes they don't need to be polinated to produce lupulin (the yellow sticky substance that we want). They probably need polination only to produce viable seeds.
And I believe the males produce cones too but far less.

I have cascade. They are mostly a finishing hop and are very citrusy. It might be about a month before I can take rhizome cuttings depending on how the weather goes. I would be willing to trade for seeds. PM if interested.

Hi, A little farther down from your post in this forum is a person who wants to trade hops for seeds. I believe the poster's name is Roguejim. I looked at it yesterday, as I'm thinking about trying to make homebrew.

Thanks for the lookout Barley-pop, I spoke to him but he had actual hop pellets, I'm looking to grow my own so I was looking for seeds/rhizomes.

Griff, I PM'ed you as well.

Sorry for the delay, I thought this wanted ad was dead in the water since not many people understandably would have such a thing growing in their backyard.

Since this post is getting bumped due to this reply, anyone else have any citrus-type hops rhizomes/seeds to trade?

Thanks for starting this thread fcon. Just traded griff hot sauce for rhizomes. Hats off to both of you. Starting my first hot pepper beer this weekend.

Back