• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone have a good wholesale site?

Was looking to start ordering plastic pots, and I am going to need a bunch. Does anyone know a good site to get a good price on them? 

Brain Strain Pepper Head said:
Why don't you check your local nursery. Mine has a recycling bin that you can help yourself or used one real cheap. I got 100s for free at my nursery.
I have to find another one. The one near my house doesn't even sell the small breakaway trays, they cater to the high dollar housewives I think

Pepperjack91 said:
Lol. What?
Haha. They don't seem to have a lot of the "get down and get dirty" gardening supplies, its all expensive pottery and decor. I asked him about the crappy 6 packs of break up planters and he said he doesn't carry things like that. Interesting. 

Why don't you check your local nursery. Mine has a recycling bin that you can help yourself or used one real cheap. I got 100s for free at my nursery.
This.  Drove 40 minutes to a large nursery and filled the trunk up with free pos from the recycling bins.  They even store them by size.  Need to hit it up again come Spring they said any time
What I did was google nurseries in the local towns and emailed them all through their contact form.  Stated I was looking for used pots to use for container gardening and was wonder what they do with all of theirs. 

Here's an idea... Contact a local landscape contractor in your area, they usually have to pay to get rid of them, and should be happy to hear that you would take them.

My 2¢

Bookmarked, thank you. I like the root trainer pots and tree seeedling containers, which means little to no root spiraling in my experience.

Here's a few more that i've ordered from Tim, in case you want to price compare:

- http://plasticflowerpots.net/ <-- more deep root trays here.
- http://growerssolution.com/page/GS/PROD/plug/59-51451 <-- Have these, they're excellent. No root spiraling confirmed. Lots of lateral roots which look like an upside down christmas tree.

Star720562CTreeTubeDeepTray004.jpg

^^ upside down, the cells are 5" tall, and 2" wide. The overall shape and wide drain hole helps keep the plants from getting root bound a little longer.

Hope this helps,

Steve

I just had a landscaper here last week! I didn't even think of asking him!

All great suggestions guys, going to make some calls friday when I get off work :)

Definitely ask a local landscaper, when I have planting jobs I end up with tons of pots that I either have to pay to dump up the street or stockpile them to get a load worth the 30 min drive to the nearest nursery that accepts them. I usually end up throwing the large ones on kijiji and people come grab them from the curb usually the same day I put the ad up. Also if you have a tree farm close usually they have a bunch of pots they don't use kicking around, if they are damaged a little filter fabric will hold the soil in. We usually end up having to make a relief cut in the larger pots for trees to get them out, so they become useless for resale. I wrap it in filter fabric and then just tye the pot with some nylon rope under the rim to keep the shape.

Back