Anyone have an induction oven/cooktop?

Just wondering what everyone thought about them. The wife is telling me we need one when we get a new oven so I want to get some opinions.

There are a lot of pluses including the fact that they work well with all my cast iron, but I will have to get new sauce pans since my stainless isn't magnetic. :mope:

View attachment 14337

You mean like this?

This is very similar to the one we have (I jacked this picture off the net) and I love it. We mostly have Calphalon cookware, some cast iron and it is awesome. Why won't stainless cookware work? It's super easy to clean with Weiman's glass top cleaner. which is misleading because it is not glass at all, it is in fact ceramic. The oven has a sweet feature also, the element on the bottom is hidden, and there is a smooth bottom tray that you put about a quart of water in there and set the oven to CLEAN and it works as a steam cleaner in about an hour it's done.

about $700

Love it, love it, love it.

Scoville DeVille said:
attachicon.gif
MaytagRange.jpg

Why won't stainless cookware work?

I think most stainless does, but mine isn't magnetic. The websites say if it isn't magnetic, it won't work. Not a big deal if the cook top is that much better than resistance heating.

LOVE the damn thing.

It's buried under all the peppers there.

bOfchmah.jpg

:)

It's *precise* and temperature changes are damn near instant. E.g. boiling over? Turn it down, instantly not boiling over.

(There's no "lag" time like with normal electrics, no burners to cool down or warm up)

A pan with 1/2" of cold tap water will go from cold to boil in less than 15 seconds on mine.

Scoville DeVille said:
attachicon.gif
MaytagRange.jpg

You mean like this?

This is very similar to the one we have (I jacked this picture off the net) and I love it. We mostly have Calphalon cookware, some cast iron and it is awesome. Why won't stainless cookware work? It's super easy to clean with Weiman's glass top cleaner. which is misleading because it is not glass at all, it is in fact ceramic. The oven has a sweet feature also, the element on the bottom is hidden, and there is a smooth bottom tray that you put about a quart of water in there and set the oven to CLEAN and it works as a steam cleaner in about an hour it's done.

about $700

Love it, love it, love it.
We have one as well and we love it. Easy cleanup with spills and the different element sizes are great for different sized pots/pans.

Why won't stainless cookware work?

Induction cooktops will only heat up ferromagnetic metals(ones magnets will stick to)

I don't have one but have wanted one for a while, they heat up so quick.

the old coil burner models are becoming harder to find. i was in an appliance store and of the dozen stove models only one was coil, the rest induction.

we are looking at upgrading our kitchen and when replacing the stove, i think we would replace the coil with gas but i am not sure until i research the benefits of induction.

Once you use an induction stove for a bit, you'd have a hard time talking yourself in to a gas range.

It's like cooking with a scalpel, instead of a sledgehammer.

I have had Propane before and I always thought it was the best.

...Until I got this stove. Just the clean-ability alone is worth having it. And it's instant heat, just like gas.

Scoville DeVille said:
I have had Propane before and I always thought it was the best.

...Until I got this stove. Just the clean-ability alone is worth having it. And it's instant heat, just like gas.
I agree Scovie. When I had a gas stove and a pot over -flowed or splattered the stove you knew clean up was going to be a pain. Now it is a piece of cake.

We love our induction especially the wife..she has cast iron skillet that she has been using for 23 years and we got a really kick ass set of pots and pans for a wedding gift that was made to match and work with our cooktop...

Easy to clean and the best aspect I personally like is that our induction can boil water in under a minute (roughly 40-50 seconds depending on size of pot).... Love it man...you won't be disappointed I promise..:)

PepTalk said:
Yeah and you'll prob have ta update it like every other day!
You thought you were just being funny there. We're looking at Samsung appliances. The refrigerator has a computer that actually runs apps. :D :D :D

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I use CI on mine, f rules!

Good to know since I have 4 pieces of CI.

sp33d said:
We love our induction especially the wife..she has cast iron skillet that she has been using for 23 years and we got a really kick ass set of pots and pans for a wedding gift that was made to match and work with our cooktop...

Easy to clean and the best aspect I personally like is that our induction can boil water in under a minute (roughly 40-50 seconds depending on size of pot).... Love it man...you won't be disappointed I promise.. :)

Cool.

I'm actually impressed to see how many THPers have induction. There are still relatively few at the stores in the midwest. It definitely has a cool factor that you just don't get with resistance heating.

Had induction for over 10 years. Its the best choice. Go for it. Next technology will be infra red, just waiting for it to hit the consumer market properly. As far as I know there is now down side with induction. Works as a charm. Precise and fast. 

arcticchili said:
Had induction for over 10 years. Its the best choice. Go for it. Next technology will be infra red, just waiting for it to hit the consumer market properly. As far as I know there is now down side with induction. Works as a charm. Precise and fast. 
Thats all cool and the gang but what about when the power goes out!

Back