• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Anyone have any experience growing peppers in South Florida?

I've been a lover of all things spicy since I was a little kid, but never grew them, although I have a lot of experience growing other things, green things ;) So I think I'm going to give it a shot really soon in my new house. I'll be doing them outside, but probably in pots since the soil on my property is kinda sandy. Does anyone have experience growing peppers in South Florida? Any tips or recommendations on what varieties would be good to try here for my first grow?

Put them in pots or have an area that's covered. You want to keep them out of your rainly climate as much as possable b/c peppers do not like their feet wet. The pots give you the option of moving them under cover when it rains.

Grow peppers that like the high humidity. Bhut Jolokia is one in particular that absolutely loves high humidity. Probably some Pubescense as well like Rocotos (aka Monzanos), also Cayenes and Serranos...Cayenes not so much though.

imaguitargod said:
Put them in pots or have an area that's covered. You want to keep them out of your rainly climate as much as possable b/c peppers do not like their feet wet. The pots give you the option of moving them under cover when it rains.

Actually with sandy soil, the water drains quickly and wet feet aren't much of a problem.

theres a couple people here from FL & they grow all sorts of chiles, though 1 always comes to mind when you ask for a FL chile & that is a Datil chile, since its a native FL chile.

imaguitargod said:

Grow peppers that like the high humidity. Bhut Jolokia is one in particular that absolutely loves high humidity. Probably some Pubescense as well like Rocotos (aka Monzanos), also Cayenes and Serranos...Cayenes not so much though.

Sounds good, I have a big screen room out back that gets plenty of sun so thats always an option to get them out of the rain. Bhut Jolokia will definitely be on the list.
chilehunter said:
theres a couple people here from FL & they grow all sorts of chiles, though 1 always comes to mind when you ask for a FL chile & that is a Datil chile, since its a native FL chile.

Datil will be another. I have a very green thumb from years of experience growing green, so I think whatever I do will come out well.

Thanks for the tips guys and I'll definitely be posting pics as they grow, now I just need to get some seeds.

Hey Scott, how'd you like to mail a few my way?

Back