• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Anyone have any experience with Vlad's Impact Chili?

Supposed to be a Galapagoense x Chinense hybrid.

I've been on the fence about whether or not to pick up some seeds.

Here is the one I'm talking about:
http://www.rainbowchiliseeds.com/catalog/i492.html

I think that what we have here is a backyard mistake. Perhaps Vlad had a Bhut placed next to a Galapagos pepper(what the Hell is a Galapagos pepper?) and decided to breed it to see what would come of it. It does indicate that it's an F1 which means that the following year if grown from seed would very little uniformity.

Just my two cents. I'm currently working on a Haban-Jolokia myself. Anyone can do it. Just take a soft 1/8 inch paint brush and brush from one flower on one plant to another flower on another plant and see what you get... like Vlad did.

I'm ok with having to grow out a TON of seed and selecting for qualities I like...

I have some C. Galapagoense going my self.

I have heard that the F2 seed is not viable?

F2 for the impact I mean.

I think that what we have here is a backyard mistake. Perhaps Vlad had a Bhut placed next to a Galapagos pepper(what the Hell is a Galapagos pepper?) and decided to breed it to see what would come of it. It does indicate that it's an F1 which means that the following year if grown from seed would very little uniformity.

Just my two cents. I'm currently working on a Haban-Jolokia myself. Anyone can do it. Just take a soft 1/8 inch paint brush and brush from one flower on one plant to another flower on another plant and see what you get... like Vlad did.

Its a C. Galapagoense pepper. One of the rarest peppers in the world.

I have heard that the F2 seed is not viable?

F2 for the impact I mean.

It's been years since I studied genetics, but I was also under the assumption that a f2 generation of a hybrid would be sterile. I hope I'm wrong as I've also been looking at these seeds.

I think that what we have here is a backyard mistake.

I was under the impression that this is a deliberate cross created to make growing an extremely difficult to grow pepper more manageable for the hobby grower.

Vladan is a member here and pretty reputable. As with any crosses, there is an inherent risk you take as a buyer (especially at such a early stage) to expect the unexpected. C. Galapagoense are historically an extremely difficult pepper to grow, and if he is able to help the genetics of the C. Galapagoense, I am all for it. This should be taken as a "let's see what happens" type pepper, and I am sure he would not be marketing it as a guarantee. I have never heard of F2s being sterile, and if that were the case we would never be able to get stable crosses (i.e. f6-?).

Plus, it only a few bucks. If it isn't for you, then pass on it, but it could end up being a pretty cool chili. Worse case you get a decent super, best case you have something really special!

Here's a pic of one of mine:
mmpct.jpg

I have never heard of F2s being sterile, and if that were the case we would never be able to get stable crosses (i.e. f6-?).

I'm thinking more along the line of animal genetics. Say you cross a lion and a tiger to get a liger, the liger would then be sterile. If you cross 2 species, the resulting offspring (F1) is a hybrid, and usually sterile. the whole F1,F2,etc designation is used to label generations of offspring from two parents. So you could have a F6 of two C. chinese parents that is not a hybrid, but an interspecies cross.

I am by no means a geneticist, I took a couple courses in university, but that was a lot of years and a lot of beers ago.

I agree with just treating it as a interesting cross to try and grow out, it doesn't really matter if the seeds are sterile in the end.

Vladan is a member here and pretty reputable. As with any crosses, there is an inherent risk you take as a buyer (especially at such a early stage) to expect the unexpected. C. Galapagoense are historically an extremely difficult pepper to grow, and if he is able to help the genetics of the C. Galapagoense, I am all for it. This should be taken as a "let's see what happens" type pepper, and I am sure he would not be marketing it as a guarantee. I have never heard of F2s being sterile, and if that were the case we would never be able to get stable crosses (i.e. f6-?).

Plus, it only a few bucks. If it isn't for you, then pass on it, no need to take parting shots on your way out the door.

Happens all the time under certain circumstances. There was no parting shot intended. I like VLAD, I was hoping he would pop in.

I agree and have some Galapagoense seeds going now.

Making them easier is a good idea.

I like growing out crosses and understand the risks etc involved.

no need to be snippy.

No, these are on my patio with less light and in pots, so they take a bit longer to ripen than my plants out at the garden.

I don't know what to make of these, they don't look exactly like regular bhuts, but there are a whole bunch of different bhuts running around out there...

It will be interesting to taste them once they ripen, I'll post more pics when that happens also of the inside.
If anyone else is growing this, go ahead and post a pic or two for comparison
flash.gif

I saw shane eat one on his glog (stc followed by some numbers), I couldn't hear what he said about the flavor, but he seemed quite affected by the heat *chuckle*.

Back