• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

fermenting Anyone here make Kefir?

So I've been doing some reading and I think I am going to get some kefir grains and start making my own.  Anyone here make it? Have any tips or suggestions? I would like to do organic unpasteurized cows milk and goats milk.  Anyone double ferment?  

I do, its easy, I just use 2%, homogenized is no good. If you want to make a richer culture then add 10 or 18% cream. I dont have access to farm fresh so i just use regular store bought.
I mmix up a gallon batch then pour into quart mason jars and the extra goies into the pint starter jar, then leav all on the counter top over night, once you see little bubbles form on the glass I put in the fridge and it continues to go their and will eventually separate. This is over 6 months old.
This the last of my batch, need to make more, Im actually using it more for making sourdough bread.

PB095461_Kefir-500_zpshvb7f8tk.jpg

dragonsfire said:
I do, its easy, I just use 2%, homogenized is no good. If you want to make a richer culture then add 10 or 18% cream. I dont have access to farm fresh so i just use regular store bought.
I mmix up a gallon batch then pour into quart mason jars and the extra goies into the pint starter jar, then leav all on the counter top over night, once you see little bubbles form on the glass I put in the fridge and it continues to go their and will eventually separate. This is over 6 months old.
This the last of my batch, need to make more, Im actually using it more for making sourdough bread.

PB095461_Kefir-500_zpshvb7f8tk.jpg
Awesome. I actually was thinking to myself I wonder if dragonsfire makes this it's seems like something you would be into.  When I get some grains I will will post back here when I start up. 

I can purchase the local organic unpasteurized whole milk at the health food store in my town for $6 a gallon. They also sell it at the farmers markets here year round but it's closer to $8.  Farmers market tomorrow morning I'm going to see if I can source some local kefir grains. 

I originally used the packets, 4 envelopes in a box from the health food store, and thats like 10 years ago. starter keeps going for years and just gets stronger, so unless you introduce poor milk (happened once) it will last forever lol. Organic milk here is like $8/2L I think it was.

Making Kefir-Leban cheese with my extra Kefir. Really amazing stuff as is, but from this you can make a bunch of different cheeses including blue which I really want to try. I'm gathering curd at the moment until I have enough to make a couple 1lb blocks that I will age for a couple months. 

20151121_095416.jpg

20151121_091211.jpg

20151121_091739.jpg

Here it is, I waited 2 days to show the speeded up process, storing in fridge now waiting to be used :)
Used 1/2 cup starter for the gall of Milk, just mixed then poured. (was short on tops :( )

PB206044_Kefir-1000_zpscdqwpva0.jpg

PB206045_Kefir-1000_zpsrnioqorz.jpg

PB236299_Kefir-1000_zpsjxrx3lq7.jpg

dragonsfire said:
Here it is, I waited 2 days to show the speeded up process, storing in fridge now waiting to be used :)
Used 1/2 cup starter for the gall of Milk, just mixed then poured. (was short on tops :( )

PB206044_Kefir-1000_zpscdqwpva0.jpg

PB206045_Kefir-1000_zpsrnioqorz.jpg

PB236299_Kefir-1000_zpsjxrx3lq7.jpg
Do you take it past drinkable stage and into cheese?

Hard to tell but it looks like you have some really good curd in last pic?

For drinking so far I like 24 hours ferment with the grains then strain and then ferment for another 24 on the counter so it gets nice and bubbly with a great twang.

All my extra after another 12 or so starts to separate that's when I strain through coffee filters.

Breakfast for the last week has been a handful of Maine blueberries,3/4 of a banana,some flax seed and about 1.5 cups kefir all spun around in the blender.

Good stuff

Back