• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling anyone know their s*#t when it comes to make pickles?

hard to find good spicy pickle's in germany. so I've started making my own. they're pretty good so far. way better than any I have found to buy here. but there's a flavor missing I just can't figure out.

I've been making mine with:
Chili Peppers or Jalepenos minced and maybe one whole.
cane sugar
mustard seeds
pickle seasoning
salt
garlic
snack cucumbers

there's a brand of pickles from America I really like. "Hot & Sweet" by Bellview. I think they're out of Pennsylvania but I am pretty sure they have a wide distribution. there's a flavor in there I just can't figure out that I'd like to add to mine. I'd be open to any other good recipe's anyone may have.

Seriously? Hard to believe you cant find good pickles in Germany.
I find using Natural ACV like Braggs makes a nice crunch pickle, then just add to your taste. (undiluted).

dragonsfire said:
Seriously? Hard to believe you cant find good pickles in Germany.
I find using Natural ACV like Braggs makes a nice crunch pickle, then just add to your taste. (undiluted).
didn't say I can't find good pickles. said I can't find good spicy pickles. Germans typically don't care for spicy foods. so grocers don't make too much of an effort to stock spicy foods. most pickles sold in stores here are sour or possibly garlic or something like that

073405103096_FCE_26052020.jpeg

Um dude just spice the store pickles. I buy my favorite pickles and drop a dried ghost pod in the jar. It rehydrates and heats up all the pickles.

Another trick I have used is Cajun rub/spice. They will turn a little more yellow but you get an awesome pickle. 

Make sure your salt and sugars and balanced correctly. This can throw off a pickle big time! Example being, a dash more salt can make all the other flavors pop, so it could need salt. Be very careful not to oversalt. Also test your sweetness. And if you add celery seed crush it a little in your hands first to release the oils. Just take your finger and rub it in your palm.

Also you are using garlic and they are not unless it is in "spices." They do have dehydrated onion. My tip would be do not use garlic, instead, finely mince a shallot. Shallots are often considered to be a taste in between onion and garlic so this covers your bases with an "onion" which is what they use anyway. Then if it still needs garlic go ahead and add.

Back