• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pest Anyone know this little wasp? Looks to be Eurytominae, but I can't seem to get any closer.

This wasp showed up in the house, maybe a week ago now.. So far I've had three of them pop up in the kitchen window, all very uniform in size, form, and pattern. They are just a hair longer than most Aphidius, at 3mm, and about twice the diameter. They have the look somewhat like a small ant queen in silhouette.

Apples, Oranges, Onions, Garlic, Bananas, Potatoes, Coleus plants, Pepper plants and fruits, Tomato plants.. All make up the possible sources, but I'm leaning towards them being parasites of the enormous fruit fly population we have on hand.
Eurytoma prunicola is about the closest I've found for a match, but the head features and colors look more like someone from Sycophila, if it weren't for the wing décor ruling them out.

I've searched high and low on the internet, what's available outside of paywalls, and haven't come up with one matching picture or description.. Hoping someone else has experience with these. Thanks.
20211228_132035_3.gif
20211228_124504_5.gif
20211228_155720_5.gif

Great videos. I can't help you, but if they are
aphid predators, that would be awesome. Put
them in your grow space!

Maybe your local extension agent could help out.
S/he might be able to identify it from your videos.

@CraftyFox have a look here, maybe you will be able to figure what they are!

not sure what it is but you might get some results from

you can download the free app from whatever app store you use. put up your observations and pictures and someone might identify for you.

there is also a section that will list observations of whatever has been logged in your area. you can usually poke around in there and figure out what something is even if no one responds to your observation.

Last edited:
Great videos. I can't help you, but if they are
aphid predators, that would be awesome. Put
them in your grow space!

Maybe your local extension agent could help out.
S/he might be able to identify it from your videos.
I've exhausted the Entomology dept here.. And really didn't even get a good lead as to anyone I might contact who specializes in them.. That is my next move, going forward.
@CraftyFox have a look here, maybe you will be able to figure what they are!
Great tip! Between the key I found, and bugguide was how I got this far though.. They are usually great, especially if you can get down to family first.
not sure what it is but you might get some results from

you can download the free app from whatever app store you use. put up your observations and pictures and someone might identify for you.

there is also a section that will list observations of whatever has been logged in your area. you can usually poke around in there and figure out what something is even if no one responds to your observation.
I also hit up this resource and flipped thru a good bit of Pteromalids before I even looked at the Eurytomids.. There really aren't that many recorded within the states, on iNat or BugGuide.. Or even google. If you look at how many species of Eurytoma there are vs. how many you can find pictures for.. I feel like I'm missing another, more specialized, resource for these somewhere.

Appreciate the tips all the same! All of my favorite resources!

Instead of coming closer to identifying the first ones, I've been given another one to puzzle out. This one is 4mm, far more speedy, and mostly black. Far too frisky for good pictures, but at least this one looks somewhat familiar. That makes four of the first one I've found, and this first of these, all on that same kitchen window.
I still find one or two Aphidius on this window, daily, along with a few fungal gnats and many fruit flies.

20220106_113206.jpg
20220106_113208.jpg

Last edited:
Back