anyone starting peppers in july?

It's entirely up to you. I'm in OH now, and have started seeds in January. Things to keep in mind include how much space you have and what you're going to do about lighting and watering. Space isn't an issue at first, but as they get bigger and you have to move them into larger pots, then things can start getting cramped if you're short on space (assuming you still have to keep them inside at that point.) Also, watering when they're tiny isn't a big deal, but let's say you move them to 1-gallon pots - how are you going to water them then?

These are just a few things to consider, but keep in mind plenty here have dealt with these things successfully. I had 48 plants all over my house at one point, so it can be done even if your space is tight - up to a point. Overall, though, it's good to get a jump-start on your growing season, as that just means the sooner pods can start to develop. 

It really does depend on the number of plants you want to have relative to the space they can take up before May.... plants started indoors in July of 2013 will be monsters by May of 2014.  One plant that old and properly potted/maintained will probably take up just under 2 square feet horizontally and wil be between 2.5 and 3.5 feet tall including the pot.  So you can see how even just 10 plants started that early and well-cared-for can become troublesome space/resource wise.  In the beginning those 10 plants take up under 1 square foot.  I started my plants January 1st.... i was ambitious enough to plant 6 seeds each of 60 varieties ending up with around 200 plants of 53 different varieties and another 200+ "mystery pepper plants that stayed crowded together in one flat... and by the time it was a month until I couldput them outside I was already over-whelmed maintaining them (keeping them watered/fed and switching their positions so that none of them would get shaded out by the faster growing varieties....)  When I finally did get them outside they were already suffering from how crowded they had been.  At this point... you also have to consider the work involved in hardening off your quantity of peppers.  Moving them in and out of full sun/filtered sun is both necessary and tortuous.  So really my message is. that I would advise you to go for quality over quantity regardless of your descision.  When you plant seeds... sow only a few of each variety and invest more energy/rescources into those few plants... this is what I will be doing next year.  Refer to my 2013 photo album for a glimpse of pepper gardening heaven and hell of which i speak.... rofl ;) http://thehotpepper.com/gallery/album/81-2013/

thanks a lot everbody. it really helps i will go for quality instead of quantity you stopped me from being ambitious and getting a couple more types of peppers i wanted to grow in january but dident get the chance

I would definitely advise you to have at least 2 of each variety... so that not only do you have a back up in case of a disaster... but you will also get to see a variation of the phenotypic expression.  For example... while one plant may grow vigorously, it may lack rewarding production..... and while the other plant my look more scraggly, it may be a prolific fruiter... similarly, one plant may produce average looking pods, while the other plant produces freakishly awesome looking pods.  Same thing goes with taste/heat, as well as the plants "ability to thrive in your climate" (aka adaptability or "darwinian fitness").

Also... i just thought I would add that the problem with over-crowding still hasnt played out fully... now it has trnaslated to a massive over-crowding in the garden.  Plants spaced three feet apart are crowding into each other.  The plants are already so large I am afraid that by October there will be no way to pick peppers but to literally crawl on my stomach through the rows (possibly with a small machette) roflmfao  :rofl: its actually already to the point where I can barely walk through certain areas for fear of breaking a branch...... So you also need to consider that those plants which are already giants by May will turn into sequoias by October.

Back