• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Anyone tried growing Raspberries or Blackberries indoor?

Hi guys, is it possible to grow them indoor using just natural light from a big kitchen sliding door (say if I get a couple hours of direct sun and then strong indirect sun later on). I have a couple 15" pots and I'm wondering if each one might be big enough to be a home to a small raspberry or blackberry plant.

I would think that it would work but it would depend on what kind of yield you would be after. If it were for eye candy only i would say go for it but i am not so sure about the production of fruit indoors like that.
Having said that i know nothing about raspberries or blackberries other than that they are yummy and stain clothes good.

Not sure but they may require a cold period. I would check that before I invested in buying the plants.

jacob

I think you'd need to grow autumn raspberries which fruits on the current season's wood(all the cane grown in that year)

POTAWIE said:
I think you'd need to grow autumn raspberries which fruits on the current season's wood(all the cane grown in that year)

Oh man I didnt even know there were different kinds. I like an idiot picked up the plants yesterday. A couple of them. They were basically a small stick with a couple leaves in a plastic bag with some soil. When I go back home I'll check to see what it says as the variety.

jjs7741 said:
Not sure but they may require a cold period. I would check that before I invested in buying the plants.

I'm starting to think that maybe its better if i just stick them in the ground outside in a few weeks and forget about doing the whole growing indoor bit :) Sounds like they can get complicated.
jacob

Novacastrian said:
I would think that it would work but it would depend on what kind of yield you would be after. If it were for eye candy only i would say go for it but i am not so sure about the production of fruit indoors like that.
Having said that i know nothing about raspberries or blackberries other than that they are yummy and stain clothes good.

Well my intention was to have it more for novelty...you know having an actual raspberry plant with fruit indoor. I'd probably go to it once on a while and pick off a few but its more for show :)

They may produce in a container the first season but the challenge I think would be year two, assuming that is your plan.
Raspberry propogates through the spreading of roots, like mint and not so much the dropping of seed. I don't know how much travelling room the roots require but perhaps if you cut it back an inch from the soil it will resprout from the main stem branch.
Several years ago, my neighbour planted some along a shared fence, his side, the following year he was left with the large dried thorny stocks(he thought the dead stock would regrow) and I had several shoots on my side of the fence.
I was annoyed at first and would just mow them down but today I still get raspberries, its a surprise every year as to where they will shoot up but the kids seem to like them as do the bees and I aim to please the bees.

Back