• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Anyone tried the Root Pouch?

I was looking for a cheaper alternative to smart pots and found the Root Pouch Pots. Has anyone tried it?

Pretty much same technology i'm sure. The site can be found here.

I found GreenHouseMegaStore sells the 5-gallon with handles in 5-pack for $6! That is cheap! They are backordered but i emailed them and they should be getting more in the end of this week. I'm getting 5 gallons, 7 gallons, and 10 gallons for my overwintered stuff. 5 gallon is the standard, but will be interesting to see the diff between 5, 7, and 10 gallon :D They have larger sizes too.

Also shipping was decent. $9.99 for me.

Hope this helps someone!

good find
yea im not suprised these can be had for much cheeper, there is no reason for smart pots to be that expensive. i actually used the walmart reuseable bags which worked wonderfully until i transplanted to a 10 gallon grow bag.

to bad they dont have the larger volumes like the smart pot makers do. my Tabasco tree keeps getting knocked over by the wind.

edit:
oh man 10 15 gallon bags for 36 bucks thats tempting... to bad i still have a stack of these 10 gallon bags from htgsupply

good find
yea im not suprised these can be had for much cheeper, there is no reason for smart pots to be that expensive. i actually used the walmart reuseable bags which worked wonderfully until i transplanted to a 10 gallon grow bag.

to bad they dont have the larger volumes like the smart pot makers do. my Tabasco tree keeps getting knocked over by the wind.

The manufacturers (root pouch) do make them larger, just the green house mega store doesn't sell them. I emailed them to check.

The manufacturers (root pouch) do make them larger, just the green house mega store doesn't sell them. I emailed them to check.

youre right, look they even have a 600 gallon bag. :eek:

black-website-450x1024.jpg

I have some 3 gallon, I emailed them for a sample, and they sent me 5. That said, the smart pot is a lot thicker... when ya read the root pouch label, it's made to be degradable in a year or 2. Both them dry out fast if not a big size, or a saucer underneath. Even here in humid Fl. I could imagine how bad it could be other places. I must admit out of the pots offered, and have been workin the best for me is the air pot. Doesn't dry out nearly as quick, plenty of aeration. For the price, hard to beat if ya didn't have to pay shipping... no Hydro store around? They usually carry some of them.

I have some 3 gallon, I emailed them for a sample, and they sent me 5. That said, the smart pot is a lot thicker... when ya read the root pouch label, it's made to be degradable in a year or 2. Both them dry out fast if not a big size, or a saucer underneath. Even here in humid Fl. I could imagine how bad it could be other places. I must admit out of the pots offered, and have been workin the best for me is the air pot. Doesn't dry out nearly as quick, plenty of aeration. For the price, hard to beat if ya didn't have to pay shipping... no Hydro store around? They usually carry some of them.

They carry different fabric weights. Did you get the black or grey one? The black one sold on the hydroponic site says 15-20 month lifespan which maybe what you got. The grey ones, which are a heavier fabric last 3-4 years.

There black, but hell they were free, I didn't know they made others... I defiantly would say anything bigger then 3 gallons would be tough to pinch between the fingers to carry for more than 10 feet, so i would order with handles if ya plan on movin um. I kinda just slide a foot or two for the ones I'm playin with this year as to not kill the sod.

OH yes! I have used Root Pouches before. They work fantastic. They also just came out with a new camo line that they call the Chameleon line. They have a list of the distributors on there website - I just called one of them - and asked where I could find Root Pouches by me, and they gave me some stores near by!

i just recieved my order, but they sent me the wrong size! i ordered the 2 quart pots but received 1 quart pots, kinda bummed, well see how their customer service is.

anyway heres what they look like if anyone is interested.
IMG_2178.jpg

IMG_2180.jpg

they are pretty flimsy, the black ones anyway. and the stiching is pretty poor, but i still think they are pretty damn good for ~30 cents a pop.

i just recieved my order, but they sent me the wrong size! i ordered the 2 quart pots but received 1 quart pots, kinda bummed, well see how their customer service is.

I am not really sure how the measurements go, but I think that there is not a direct 1:1 correlation in description of pot size and in actuality of those gallons per size. Not just Root Pouch, but in the industry in general. Looking for facts now to back that up.

i actually have a few of the "10" gallon pouches "black" coming in the mail begining of next month! will be fun to test them out!

I am not really sure how the measurements go, but I think that there is not a direct 1:1 correlation in description of pot size and in actuality of those gallons per size. Not just Root Pouch, but in the industry in general. Looking for facts now to back that up.
these are actually labeled 1qt. i plan on growing out romain lettuce heads, and i dont think 1qt will cut it... will it?

turns out the have great customer service, they actually had the fedex man come over and pick up the 1qt containers. the next day i got the correct ones.

Back