• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Anyone try the Francisca Habanero?

I can't find many opinions on it. Apparently it's bred by the same person that bred the Red Savina, and it is also extremely hot. Apparently it has been bred to ripen to orange, be less hot than the Red Savina and produce larger peppers than the standard orange habanero. Are these peppers any good? I wasn't able to get any this year because they were extremely quick to sell out at ChilePlants.com (limited supply?).

^ I'd never heard of it till your post. A quick search indicates it's way hotter than the Savina (more than one source).

http://www.reimerseeds.com/habanero-hot-peppers-francisca-pvp.aspx

They claim it's only for personal use because; "The Habanero Francisca is protected by the Plant Variety Protection Act, #9600043. United States Department of Agriculture, PI 592528 PVPO. A variety developed in California, USA."

Nobody seems to have any seeds; out of stock. :think:

Back when I originally heard of this, sometime last year, I found some interesting articles of this "new" pepper. Problem is, now I can't find them. The articles mentioned things like the name (apparently named after the breeder's grandmother, IIRC), its heat level (which was specifically meant to be lower, but not by much, than the Red Savina to make it more "marketable") and other useful info. Maybe the articles were taken down, but there were a couple. On ChilePlants, if you can trust their "heat" ratings, the Francisca Habanero is rated "very hot" (same heat rating they give many other standard habanero and scotch bonnet types), while they rate the Red Savina "extremely hot."

I've grown them and was not that impressed although I'm really not a big orange hab fan. Its definitely not hotter than than the red savina which is always over-rated anyways, but its supposed to have more flavor. In my opinion its just another over-hyped PVP variety. If it was really that good, people would be trading and growing these more, but its not the case

I grew them a couple of years ago and I wasn't really impressed with them either. They just seemed like a large Orange Hab to me.

I may have a few of the seeds left in the fridge. I'll check and if I do I'll be glad to send them to you.

Alan

Interesting. So the peppers are basically glorified orange habs, meaning unless the plants produce more or have some other special/beneficial trait (ie. extra disease resistance), you'd probably be better off just growing the regular orange variety. So now one more question... do the plants put out an impressive number of peppers? I'm starting to think maybe I wasn't missing out too much after all. I'm growing its big red brother though, the Savina.

The two plants I'm growing this year that I hope are good are the Aji Rurrenabaque and Condor's Beak... and I've seen two posts (by the same person, though) indicating that the Condor's Beak kind of sucks. Oh well.

Interesting. So the peppers are basically glorified orange habs, meaning unless the plants produce more or have some other special/beneficial trait (ie. extra disease resistance), you'd probably be better off just growing the regular orange variety. So now one more question... do the plants put out an impressive number of peppers? I'm starting to think maybe I wasn't missing out too much after all. I'm growing its big red brother though, the Savina.

The two plants I'm growing this year that I hope are good are the Aji Rurrenabaque and Condor's Beak... and I've seen two posts (by the same person, though) indicating that the Condor's Beak kind of sucks. Oh well.

The Francisca plant that I grew didn't produce all that well for me. But, if you're looking for a Habanero plant that produces well, you should try the Peach Habanero. It's probably the best producing habanero I've grown aside from the White Bullet or Ivory Habanero which produce smaller pods.

Alan

Back