• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone trying or tried global buckets?

I have some garden space, but because of my wind/climate conditions, I'm thinking about using both the garden and the global buckets (5Gal) system, along with using the global buckets soil mix.
Does anyone have experience with this, and how about the soil mix recommendation? The soil does not seem perfect for peppers, but, then again, I'm a newbie for pepper production.
I'm planning on giving it a try for a few varieties, and will report, but I have little to lose.

Great. Thanks for dusting off an old Post for me. Seems do-able, for a dozen or so buckets. I plan on running buckets and dirt (garden) trials for each of the varieties that I plan on growing. I have a few horse manure planters as well.

At least I have all winter to get my buckets drilled.

Garden dirt (soil) in buckets will fail you spectacularly.  Suggest to read the sticky post, "all about soil" in this forum.  It's a little convoluted, but it's a good place to start.  It's better to prime the mind to ask questions, then simply just to accept answers, anyway, right?

fishhead said:
Great. Thanks for dusting off an old Post for me. Seems do-able, for a dozen or so buckets. I plan on running buckets and dirt (garden) trials for each of the varieties that I plan on growing. I have a few horse manure planters as well.

At least I have all winter to get my buckets drilled.

Stumbled over this.> Global Buckets Home Page

solid7 said:
Garden dirt (soil) in buckets will fail you spectacularly.

At the page mentioned above are a few media recommendations.>Potting Mix Page

Solid7,
Yea, I probably didn't explain that well enough. I plan on a trial of using the global buckets and their recommended soil (maybe with the addition of the amendments from the "all about soil" posts). And in parallel, also plant all my varieties in my normal in the ground garden. I have a couple of acres to work with, so space isn't a problem.

If the global buckets thing works well enough, they would make it much easier for overwintering, or dealing with unexpected frosts. Time will tell.

I was checking out the global buckets thing this morn before work after I saw your post. I agree with your concern about maybe the mix that wicks enough may not be the best for peppers. Especially the almost all spaghnum mix. (I love coir w/ botanicare nutrients tho)

My only other concern is that some of the designs may reduce the grow area of the 5 gallon bucket the dirt is in. In my experience, my peppers use every bit of 5 gallons and would prob like a little more. Most of the time anyway.

That said, why not try some? Try multiple methods to beat the climate challenges, and do not skimp on support if it is windy.

Back