• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shopping Anyone Use / Hear of a Product Called Freeze Pruf?

This is a new product released (I have NO affiliation), but it caught my attention big-time.

It's supposedly an anti-freeze for plants. You spray it once a year on the leaves and it reduces the plants' freezing point 9.4 degrees. Essentiall, they say it's like giving your growing season another 4-6 weeks (moving 200 miles South).

Not cheap though - $25-$30 for a quart concentrate. I'm not sure how long it lasts or how much area is covered.

The one thing that immediately came to mind for me was PUBESCENS. What I would do to have a few more weeks and possible ripening time! My plants are loaded with them this year.

Any experiences/thoughts? How realistic is this? I saw a video where a scientist put a plant in the freezer and it survived (tender type). Pretty cool.

Well the only way I see this is possible, is isolating the plant or putting it into dormant. don't want plastic plants.

It is suppose to last up to six weeks.

One striking thing is the entire plant has to be sprayed, which by the time fall gets here means a lot of foliage. I suppose if one had a pet plant or two they really wanted to save, it would be worth it. But at the same time, I would not sell any produce to a client (or eat it) after it was sprayed with anti-freeze, supposedly safe or not.

Mike

i'd be tempted to try it just to get past that initial frost, but when something seems like it will work miracles there's always some side effect. Then again, it may be the perfect solution.

I think until I hear more I'll just cover my plants for a few nights and bring them inside to finish ripening.

i seen those another time from someone else and someone brought it up how they could see this causing cancer 10 years from now..... :(

I'm not comfortable with this much either. I feel like it's cheating Mother Nature. I guess in the long run there's never a shortage of pods here anyways. lol.

If it was ornamentals, flowers (i.e., non-edibles), maybe I'd play with it.

Back