• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Anyone used chilli upside down planter

I have seen tomato and strawnberry upside down planters but today i saw some chilli one. I didn't buy one but i was wondering if anyone has tried growing in it and how did it go. I am preety sure it's a hype.

They work well if in the right place. I haven't personally done upside down but have done and still do sideways.
Just a box with a hole in the side basically.

Do a search on here you may find a thread or two. ;)

They are just really a gimmicky thing that you'll likely just use once. I used the regular topsey turvey for chiles, but even they are too small, plants always become super root-bound and dry very quickly

My best was this White ammo" in 2007

1671715645a0abc674f5ow8.jpg

I've used my wifes strawberry topsy turvy with good results I grew 2 Yellow 7's as Potawie said they get root bound and not produce a whole lot - and you will need to water daily especially in the summer.

They are just really a gimmicky thing that you'll likely just use once. I used the regular topsey turvey for chiles, but even they are too small, plants always become super root-bound and dry very quickly

My best was this White ammo" in 2007

1671715645a0abc674f5ow8.jpg

Nice but i think you can still get same result in normal pots and even the garden. No need.

I have seen people use 5 Gal. buckets as well. H2O is always an issue. I guess if space constraints were a problem ie only have a balcony. One more thing to smack ya noggin' on !!

There are a few old threads here on making DIY upside down planters. They may not look fancy but they work just as well as the store bought types with a lot less cost

I used them this year for 4 Jalapeno's and 3 anaheim's...not great. They do grow VERY fast at first if you keep them fed and watered, because the roots are kept really warm. The Jal's produced a quite a few small peppers, The anaheim's didn't do much at all. 4 tomato bushes had the same result, nice plants but no real production. Real problem is they're still alive, and how can I transplant them??? They can't get any bigger where they are! So, I may have to destroy the bags to keep the pepper plants, or leave them root bound for next year. I would use them if I lived in a apartment and only had a balcony but that is the only real reason for them.

Back