• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests Aphid Chaser....anybody ever heard of this?

AJ,

Looks like it would become pricey for someone like you who has so many plants. But for seedlings - if it works it would be well worth $10.

Mike

agreed on pricey for so many plants but seedlings is exactly what I was thinking about....

AJ,

I ordered package today, figuring with me away from the office for usually four days at a time, this will keep the aphids at bay.

Mike

wordwiz said:
AJ,

I ordered package today, figuring with me away from the office for usually four days at a time, this will keep the aphids at bay.

Mike

cool Mike...let me know how they work because I want to use them this coming seedling season...in a tight area such as my grow box, germinator, seedling area, these should do the trick...

AJ,

Will do. Eight weeks ought to be close to enough time from germination until they are ready to move outside.

I still will need something for mites (?), the little red bugs that infested and devoured a couple of plants I brought in to overwinter last October.

Mike

AJ,

I e-mailed the company and was told I need to hang one thing per plant. Obviously, this wouldn't apply to seedlings but I suspect you might need two per every 4' grow rack. It's worth it for the two plants at the office - if it works. But the relatively short shelf-life ~4 weeks, medium cost and low coverage area seem unconducive to widespread use. Then again, I can always hope that after eight weeks the aphids have decided to look elsewhere for food, or that the plant is so large that anything but a plague of aphids won't hurt it.

But a question - have you thought about asking a nursery what they use for pest control? One would think they (organic or chemical gardeners) would use a product that is cost effective as well as effective in eradicating the problem.

Mike

Thanks for doing the leg work on this one Mike...I would need 24 of them to cover all my plants inside (right now, will probably increase this coming winter)...if I need a "set" of them each 4 weeks, that would get way expensive...

***thinking of another option***

AJ,

I would tend to use some heavy duty insecticide and zap the creatures but I believe you are more into organic growing. So why not grow plants, such as basil, mums, garlic or coriander that repel aphids? Out of 48 cups, plant flowers or herbs in six of them. "She whose favor you want to retain" might be thrilled with some flowers. Plus, it will give you some more plants to sell in the spring.

Also, read up on how leaves from different plants can be brewed to make a natural insecticide. Tomato plant leaves are supposed to be great for a number of pests and heaven knows that if my garden doesn't get eradicated, I should be able to brew a couple of gallons of stuff to use this winter/next spring.

Mike

I used some heavy duty stuff in the bifenthrin...2 applications then backed off to safer soap....if I do get an absolute infestation, I will probably do the same thing again...I am not totally against non-organic methods if it is the last thing you know to do...

And you are right, I need to start researching "elixirs"....

That would really help me when I cover the plants over the "winter" here in LALA Land.

I found this guy scraping the underside of my leaves tonight looking for a snack...

mantis.0001.jpg

Mine arrived. I have one on each plant at the office and I brought a couple home. Yesterday, I noticed a heavy infestation on a large plant and stuck one of them on it. Today, about 90 percent of them have vanished. Part of that is due to natural predators - the plant has crickets, flies, etc., crawling over it looking for snacks, but the undersides of leaves no longer look almost white from aphids.

Mike

Back