• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Aphid killing army

Edmick

Staff Member
Extreme Member
So my neighbor found this praying mantis egg in one of her bushes and gave it to me to hatch for my gatden. Is there any way to know if the mantis babies have already come out or do I just need to wait it out?

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     I think they've already hatched by this point. Also I think those holes are where the babies emerged.
I thought they came out the bottom.. I really have no clue though. Oh well. I'll throw it into a jar and see what happens. If nothing else, hopefully they make their way over to my property from the neighbors.

Yea, we had a ton of them growing up. The holes and the color of it is a give away. Looks old and already hatched out. They definitely come out of the side there where those holes are.

Very nice those Aphids don’t stand a chance [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. That is super neat!! So did they emerge from the bottom? Did the sack have some heft to it to indicate it was full of babies?

Muckyai said:
Wow. That is super neat!! So did they emerge from the bottom? Did the sack have some heft to it to indicate it was full of babies?

It really kinda looked the same as it did before they hatched from what I can tell except there were some very fine threads hanging towards the bottom which from what I read is what they suspend from when they come out. Was pretty cool. First time I've ever seen it. There were easily 100 of them in the container.

Back