pests Aphids and ... A Spider !

Hey everyone :)

Last post i had sunburn damage on a lot of my plants, and i am happy to say they are all growing a ton of new leaves !

Now when i looked yesterday i saw a lot of aphids and after some googling i went on the attack with a knife !
I carefully removed all aphids and crushed them, but i see some eggs that i won't be removing with my knife :P

So i searched what to do and found this 'recipe' :
1 litre warm water,  (0.264172 Gallon)
2 tablespoons of Neem oil,
1 teaspoon of soap,
Spray this once or twice a week, for 3 weeks long.

My question: Is this the right thing to do and do u have any advice ?
( i want to make sure i don't kill my plants ... )

And i have this 'White crab spider' on one of my plants:
URZQYRQQFR7QDRMQ1RZQFQM0TQE0TRJKORKQ3RIQ1RFKTQ70YQI0L00Q9RG0OQ50BRRQVRJKCQ.jpg

I imagine it is good to have it around ?
Or should i remove it ?

Thank you for your time !
Greetz

I have done basically the same with neem oil for an aphid problem I had recently. It works well in my opinion. The reason for 1-2 times a week is to interrupt the reproductive cycle of the eggs.

That's one cool looking spider! I say keep him since spiders will eat any potentially harmful bugs.

Capsicum Select said:
I have done basically the same with neem oil for an aphid problem I had recently. It works well in my opinion. The reason for 1-2 times a week is to interrupt the reproductive cycle of the eggs.

That's one cool looking spider! I say keep him since spiders will eat any potentially harmful bugs
Ok awesome, thanks.

Now does it matter at what time of the day i spray my plants ?
And will the spray kill the spider ? :)

Greetz

Prehensile said:
Yes it does though I use 1.5 TBS Neem per Gallon of water + I TBS of Dog Tick & Flea shampoo for the dispersant.
Oh so then i should only add half a TBS for my litre water.

And at what time of the day should i spray it on my plants ? 

They claim neem's oil won't burn leaves but if it gets hot enough it sure can. Just be safe with it and spray at night or early morning.

Are there any non-oil based solutions for getting rid of bugs (aphids, whitefly, mites, etc)? I really dislike the fact that all of these "natural" things leave an oil residue on the leaves...

Thanks!

Ladybugs! They're voracious eaters of aphids. I naturally have them here but last year I had to buy some extras. Last year I had an aphid explosion on my seedlings I was hardening off which meant they would go back inside during a cold snap or during rough weather. This allowed the aphids to explode their population without predators. I sprayed, sprayed, and then sprayed with something else. Finally I could put the seedlings out in the ground for good. I locally bought 3 packages of ladybugs to boost my population and I placed the little critters on all of my plants. Within a short period of time my aphids were gone and the peppers were doing good. I eventually saw these little crawly things on my peppers which I determined were ladybug larvae. Never did the aphids reoccur to damage my plants last year. I'm not saying there probably weren't a few around. But I had no issues with them. This year I had a return of the ladybugs with the larvae making their transformation to ladybugs on the south facing wall of my garden shed. I collected the emerging ladybugs and helped them over to my peppers. Long windedly I'm just saying as a non believer last year I know how effective the little buggers can be. 

WichitaChief said:
Ladybugs! They're voracious eaters of aphids. I naturally have them here but last year I had to buy some extras. Last year I had an aphid explosion on my seedlings I was hardening off which meant they would go back inside during a cold snap or during rough weather. This allowed the aphids to explode their population without predators. I sprayed, sprayed, and then sprayed with something else. Finally I could put the seedlings out in the ground for good. I locally bought 3 packages of ladybugs to boost my population and I placed the little critters on all of my plants. Within a short period of time my aphids were gone and the peppers were doing good. I eventually saw these little crawly things on my peppers which I determined were ladybug larvae. Never did the aphids reoccur to damage my plants last year. I'm not saying there probably weren't a few around. But I had no issues with them. This year I had a return of the ladybugs with the larvae making their transformation to ladybugs on the south facing wall of my garden shed. I collected the emerging ladybugs and helped them over to my peppers. Long windedly I'm just saying as a non believer last year I know how effective the little buggers can be. 

Lady bugs are probably the best to take care of aphid problems since they LOVE eating them.  I haven't had any around here this year, or any at the garden center, so I went the neem oil route for my seedlings that got them while hardening off. Seems to help but definitely have to keep up with it on a weekly basis.

I'm not normally a huge fan of spiders, but this guy looks kinda cool lol. Figure there's no harm in keeping it around to ward off potential pests and eat any existing ones.  It's like a little security guard for your plant!

Capsicum Select said:

Lady bugs are probably the best to take care of aphid problems since they LOVE eating them.  I haven't had any around here this year, or any at the garden center, so I went the neem oil route for my seedlings that got them while hardening off. Seems to help but definitely have to keep up with it on a weekly basis.
Lacewings are even better they say.

Proud Marine Dad said:
Lacewings are even better they say.
yeah you can buy the larve online.  If i get an invasion i'm getting these.  They will eat other bugs too i hear.
i saw a few aphids on my brain strain red yesterday.  I hit my plants with Azamax.  I don't like using it but it was the only thing i had laying around.  I don't like using it when my plants are bearing fruit.  

Back