• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Aphids... EEEK!

I "deal" with aphids by keeping my pepper plants near my rose bushes. The aphids flock to the roses and for the most part stay off the peppers. Then spray them on the roses every few weeks to knock them out for a bit. 

I hear some people use marigolds in their gardens to deter various pests too.. 

superhotshot said:
Hey all, so it turns out the aphids HAD spread. I found several of my plants lightly infested... At this point I knew what I had to do. I made a soap solution as suggested and drenched every one of them in and out. I think the aphids are gone/dead but now I have a new concern. My 2 jalapeno plants had pretty bad edema for who knows what reason, and after the spraying, all the effected leaves shriveled up and I was forced to take about 50% or so of the leaves off both plants. I went ahead and removed any damaged greenery from all plants so everyone has a fresh start... Besides this all is well. Will this defoliation hurt the jalapeno plants? Or will they just go right back to pushing out more leaves? I've accepted at this point it's not in my control... I gotta do what I gotta do or those damn aphids will win.
Hey all, so it turns out the aphids HAD spread. I found several of my plants lightly infested... At this point I knew what I had to do. I made a soap solution as suggested and drenched every one of them in and out. I think the aphids are gone/dead but now I have a new concern. My 2 jalapeno plants had pretty bad edema for who knows what reason, and after the spraying, all the effected leaves shriveled up and I was forced to take about 50% or so of the leaves off both plants. I went ahead and removed any damaged greenery from all plants so everyone has a fresh start... Besides this all is well. Will this defoliation hurt the jalapeno plants? Or will they just go right back to pushing out more leaves? I've accepted at this point it's not in my control... I gotta do what I gotta do or those damn aphids will win.

15574925475438794976362426877247.jpg

Back