• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Aphids

The Devil. Great question. I have been wondering the same thing for a while, and I'm convinced they come from deep below.

.....are from the Land of Make Believe. They come from a mixture of 1 part Tinker Bell dust, one part Dumbo droppings, and one feather of Big Birds tail. Add water and bake for 30 minutes at 350F.

Yes, those aphids can be a nuisance at times.

And all it takes is one lone female to come into contact with your plants, either by flight(in their winged stage) or even hitching a ride on your clothing, into your grow area.

But one of the features of female aphids that allows them to reproduce so damn fast is their ability to give live birth, so that they can skip the egg stage.

And also females don't need a male around to fertilize their eggs, a biological reproductive process known as parthenogenesis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenogenesis

Aphids can reproduce parthenogenetically, which is basically an asexual reproduction method where a female aphid can give live birth to clones of herself, without any input from a male aphid.

dvg

Yeah that sounds like a double whammy aphid curse: first the aphid's ability to give live birth and second, having ants farming and protecting those honey-dew producing aphid herds...getta-long lil doggie :rofl:

dvg

Good post. I've wondered the same thing a few times. The bit on ants is interesting. I could definately see that being an "unnoticed' culprit. I've always grown in pots and I swear I could never understand how these things found my plants the few times I've had issues with them. I see ants every year, but never pay them any mind. Even thought they may be perging my plant of unwanted pests .....can't win for loosing I guess.

Since we were on the topic of aphids, i thought i'd share a link that deals with suicide bomber aphids that sacrifice their own lives to protect others in the herd from ladybugs and other predators.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/article2056301.ece

dvg

no doubt! i found one in my house on a seedling. crazy. smashed him and no sign of any more.

I hope that you did it in a humane way and it didnt suffer. Perhaps we should have aphid traps where they could be trapped alive and released into the wild............... :violin: :tear: :rofl:

Wow sand. You been holdin that in for days huh?!Funny. Btw remember its against the law to trap and release aphids into the wild!

Back