• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

pests Aphids

Will I encounter these critters in NH come season to bring my plants outdoors?
What other critters may I see that I will not like in NH area, I want to be prepared and no what to look for.
As well as have the right bug killing solutions.

Justaguy has it right. You're likely to have aphid problems on indoor plants (can't believe they haven't showed up yet on my plants I'm overwintering), but once outdoors they'll be kept under control by natural predators.

Watch out for tomato hornworms. Once they grow to a decent size, they can defoliate a plant overnight.

Ok, I always see pictures of people being infested with those little buggers outside, so naturally it worries me.
My plants are going to be in containers outside to make my life easier if I have to move them around like on and off the deck.

yes as was said before the outside predators usually take care of all my "bad" bug issues.. i'm blessed with a large number of preying mantis and assassin bugs in my yard...and they will eat about anything that moves,

http://www.buglogical.com << this is where I order ladybugs from. We do get some ladybugs outside, but I order them and let them go inside the house when I see the first signs of aphids on my overwinters.

Another thing to watch for, inside or out, is mites. I have had no problems with mites outdoors, but found broad mite damage on the tomatillos I started a few years ago inside. Unlike aphids, broad mites are too small to see with the naked eye - you will see their damage before you see them, unless you regularly inspect your plants with the use of a jeweler's loupe. Again, my answer is beneficial insects.

Justaguy has it right. You're likely to have aphid problems on indoor plants (can't believe they haven't showed up yet on my plants I'm overwintering), but once outdoors they'll be kept under control by natural predators.

Watch out for tomato hornworms. Once they grow to a decent size, they can defoliate a plant overnight.

They're probably all just under one leaf waiting for the right moment to burst forth and devour all tender new growth...

Look up aphid in my japanese dictionary... Archasim is:

'visitor to a red-light district who's only there to look'

Dunno what that means, but I like it

http://www.colgate.c...MOS_clean_shine
Two tablespoons of this Murphy product in a pint of water.
I sprayed well, top and bottom of all foliage, repeated after two days and now my overwintering garage chili plants are aphid free.
Bonus - Still have my ladybugs hanging around ! :P
I have been using Murphy's oil soap in the garden for years, this product with d-lemonine looks to be an Environmental winner too!
:clap:
MSDS Sheet
http://www.dillonche...c/MUR 01030.pdf

Look up aphid in my japanese dictionary... Archasim is:

'visitor to a red-light district who's only there to look'

Dunno what that means, but I like it

LOL!!!

I've got to tell you, that is one of the most weird answers I've seen yet. And having grown up in Eugene, Oregon, I've got to hand it to you for a job "Well Done!" Not only does your answer boggle the mind and make one concentrate on trying to figure out the logic, it is also just on the edge of adult humor. Kudos, my friend! Well Done! Thanks for making my evening.

Red Light district?

IM004960.jpg

They AREN'T here just to look! :(

I think that plant's pimp better get out the Kalashnikov and whomp those fools for messing with his girl! Yu nahh sayin'?

I hate those buggers! Aphids are my only pest problem and they are everywhere. I can sit for a full day and get rid of them by hand and they will come back in less than a week.

Soap and water in a bottle takes care of most of them if you don't want to sit for hours and crush them one by one. If you want a better effect, add a bit of mineral oil or vegetable oil to the soap and water mix.

Insecticide works the best. Organic is sh*t. Get some good stuff and go to town.

Ladybugs are cool but they will fly away. It'll work but it wont last. I don't get any natural predators in my outdoor plot for whatever reason (location?).

That is baloney.

Now I don't have any idea what type of bugs you folks grow in New Hampshire. I can say you will have to be extremely lucky to be able to count on outside predators to keep them under control. If you expect success from your plants it's best to be prepared to meet any challenge presented by bugs, specially aphids. If you have a minor infestation and you catch it early then the organic killers can be successful at keeping them under control. You'll have to use them more than once and they will not kill all of them. The only thing I've found that eliminates them are chemicals ie., insecticides.

Best of luck to you.

Back