pests Aphids

Over the last year I have been battling aphids off and on with my plants (potted) Indoors and outdoors, while my plants have done great outdoors this year I decided to bring my plants indoors since I typically keep them going through the winter, however I just found some aphids on my plants again tonight (I have about 8 indoors right now) What lets the aphids come back over and over again? This is driving me so crazy I am thinking of starting over with all new plants and soil, no matter what I use they come back.

Is my best bet starting from a fresh start?

Daniel

Get a Hot Shot no pest strip and hang it in the plant. Then cover the plant with a durable garbage bag and fumigate it for about 24 hours. Do this outside and let the plant air out for an hour or so before brining it inside.
     Dichlorvos kills everything with a nervous system and doesn't leave a residue behind. 

You can try incorporating small amounts of Azamax when you bottom water feed the plants at every other feeding. Azamax is supposed to be all natural and imcludes neem oil among others. A few feeding applications should be enough.The roots will absorb it and spread to the rest of the plant killing the aphids when they feed. Also,keeping the leaves cut back limits the aphids food supply drastically to begin with. Hope this info helps

I think there's a good line of thinking behind introducing AACT to the aphids and leaves with a spray. I don't know the interaction between it's bacteria and those in the aphid's gut that it needs to live are.. but I know it works for me, they die and dry up on the plants.

I'm guessing the bacteria may eat or kill the aphid's gut flora, starving the aphids.

Ladybugs (both larvae and adult form) are ravenous predators, and their favorite food is aphids. They can kill and eat up to 80 of those green bastards per day.

Some grow shops on this end sell Ladybugs as a natural pest control.

a moderate dose of imidicloprid will kill all of the aphids in mere days, and more over, keep killing any new aphids for many weeks thereon.

seems like the logical choice to me.

Daniel92 said:
Over the last year I have been battling aphids off and on with my plants (potted) Indoors and outdoors, while my plants have done great outdoors this year I decided to bring my plants indoors since I typically keep them going through the winter, however I just found some aphids on my plants again tonight (I have about 8 indoors right now) What lets the aphids come back over and over again? This is driving me so crazy I am thinking of starting over with all new plants and soil, no matter what I use they come back.

Is my best bet starting from a fresh start?

Daniel
I had that problem last winter and nothing really worked till I got "Mite X"   "Kills aphids and thrips, too! Natural insect spray is safe for use around children and pets."  It worked Great and 100% would use it again.   Only thing I found that killed aphids like the sprays said they would.

Crazy buggas and your keeemicals :D

Random correction, Azamax is a derivative of neem.

I wiped aphids out with two applications of soap doped up with essential oil. Bronners 1%, rosemary oil 0.5%, three days later, Bronners 0.75%, neem oil 0.5%, peppermint oil 0.5%. That was over two weeks ago and I haven't seen one since. Granted, the second spray caused minor leaf necrosis, maybe 1/10 leaves showed light damage. I had beneficials inbound and had to stop spraying, worked like a charm.

MiteX looks interesting, atleast to remind me of mixing rate :P I've had good result with clove oil before, it's incredibly phytotoxic, but in the right concentration is gold.

I only use ladybugs, and they wipe them out every time. Eggs are often impervious to sprays, which is why they keep coming back. Ladybugs devour eggs, larvae and adults. I use buglogical.com to get ladybugs. Note that if you're going to do the same, don't spray before you get them, as the spray will kill the ladybugs. buglogical.com will overnight ship them to you.

dash 2 said:
     Get a Hot Shot no pest strip and hang it in the plant. Then cover the plant with a durable garbage bag and fumigate it for about 24 hours. Do this outside and let the plant air out for an hour or so before brining it inside.
     Dichlorvos kills everything with a nervous system and doesn't leave a residue behind. 

This is something I have never heard of, I think I might try this!

megahot said:
You can try incorporating small amounts of Azamax when you bottom water feed the plants at every other feeding. Azamax is supposed to be all natural and imcludes neem oil among others. A few feeding applications should be enough.The roots will absorb it and spread to the rest of the plant killing the aphids when they feed. Also,keeping the leaves cut back limits the aphids food supply drastically to begin with. Hope this info helps

I have used Azamax on the leaves, I didnt know you could use it that way tho!

I have tried laldybugs a couple of times, while they helped the aphids always came back, do aphids lay eggs in the soil to?

Recently I purchased two small (200 cl) bottles of a NEEM OIL based concoction, designed to combat pests. 

It's got a bunch of citronella and other fragnances in it to mask the funky odor of the neem oil itself, which reeks like a combination of  vomit, sulphur, old gym socks, and janitor ass.

The cool thing is that this stuff is not harmful to pets or even to beneficial insects like ladybugs.

Immediately blasted some indoor plants with it.

AND YEAH BABY IT WORKS   :party:   Byebye whiteflies and aphids. 

Check the directions on the Hot Shot No Pest Strips (all pest strips for that matter). They don't even want you to hang them in your house they're so toxic. I personally wouldn't use them to gas anything edible.

mecdave said:
Check the directions on the Hot Shot No Pest Strips (all pest strips for that matter). They don't even want you to hang them in your house they're so toxic. I personally wouldn't use them to gas anything edible.

they are quite safe if used properly... but yea i in this case i can understand your misgivings. it is essentially a less toxic( to mammals) nerve gas. 

they are not "so toxic" as you stated however, those gell  things give off like... single digit ppm levels of dichlorovos if i recall correctly.

queequeg152 said:

they are quite safe if used properly... but yea i in this case i can understand your misgivings. it is essentially a less toxic( to mammals) nerve gas. 

they are not "so toxic" as you stated however, those gell  things give off like... single digit ppm levels of dichlorovos if i recall correctly.

Hmmm... well the directions don't say it's safe to use in your home unless you have goldfish, parakeets, or other non-mammalian pets, but I'll reconsider using it if it will eliminate the friggin fireants out of my pots! ;-)

well, what ever you do, just dont make a habit of sleeping with one around your neck, and i think you will be fine.

my understanding was... these things were for say, the pantry, or the closet  to kill moths etc. you close them up, and wait several hours and ventilate.

im not so sure they will work well in a very  large area like say a bedroom or living room, where you have a central ac constantly pumping air in and out of the room.

perhaps dash2 has some first hand experiance in that respect.

imho there are better more convenient ways to kill bugs, but as a gas... i guess people consider this to be better than something that leaves a residual?

Anywhere near a light or heat source and they emit more dichlorvos, roughly two to three times, guesstimating from kill time statistics.

They are not rated for living spaces or areas that share air flow with one. I've used them a number of times for fumigation, employing 2-3 times the recommended amount during a 24h period and reducing air exchange to a minimum. It went haywire once in a chamber with no air exchange, and severely damaged the treated plants.

Oh right, and it worked. Just be safe, and err on the side of caution. Anything that effects your nervous system is not to be treated lightly, I personally wear half-face filtre masks when applying and removing strips.

interesting.

yea its a very old class of chemical pesticides, organophosphates. theres way safer shit out there.

i feel bad for the folks that are still applying this stuff for a living, its pretty much impossible to avoid exposure being that many forms are so volatile.  i think it was used to fumigate tobacco barns and crap a long time ago.

Many growers live with them... besides the idiocy of exposing pests to small doses of insecticide, they're slowly poisoning themselves. Preferably it becomes a medical issue before having children. Wouldn't want that gene in the pool if you could help it :D

Back