• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Aphids

So today I was doing my morning check on the plants and noticed some small winged creatures black in color. I assume they were aphids. Killed 1-3 per plant. I only saw mature, winged ones. I live nearly at the top of my building, some 30 meters up from the ground level. I've quickly skimmed/checked other plants on my terrace and didn't spot a single aphid on them. So not really sure where they came from, perhaps from my neighbors. My question is, should I worry about this? I'd rather not spray anything toxic on my plants if I can hand-manage this for now. Thanks, cheers!

Checked again, found a few more adults and a couple nymphs. Also found the likeliest culprit. There was an aphid-infested old rose in the corner of the terrace, which I've moved to the balcony on the other side of the flat. A friend suggested I should spray the rose with a garlic spray. Would this help?

While I've seen my own rose be a breeding ground it seems for aphids, are you sure that's what it is? Your initial description sounds like fungus gnats to me. If course I could definitely be wrong.

Definitely not fungus gnats. I'm pretty sure they're aphids, and from a quick google search, I'd guess they're cowpea aphids. Though interestingly, it seems the roses are, at least predominantly, covered with greenflies.

bongcloud said:
Definitely not fungus gnats. I'm pretty sure they're aphids, and from a quick google search, I'd guess they're cowpea aphids. Though interestingly, it seems the roses are, at least predominantly, covered with greenflies.
I'd never heard of that type of aphid. I think you've actually helped me diagnose my own pest issue. I also think we're in the same boat. I sprayed all of my plants with neem after days of relentless rain and I haven't seen any type of aphid since.

But I think I was in the same situation as you.

Pepper plant:
0TszMZa.jpg

Rose:
SHIjNum.jpg

ShowMeDaSauce said:
I dont think that aphid is common to the USA. It looks like it is common in eastern parts Europe and Russia. The OP appears to be from Serbia.
Cowpea-aphidcharacteristics.jpg
I could definitely be wrong, but it looks like the images I've found and this datasheet says they've been seen in St least 35 states. I could definitely be mistaken though, so my apologies. Though, isn't neem still a viable solution with this type of aphid?

https://www.cabi.org/isc/mobile/datasheet/6192

Back