• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation Applewood Smoked Douglah

Only because I'm on a diet. :)
And my dentures are still screwed up....

The smoked pube powder is the best I've smoked in a while.
I'll send some your way - as usual.
Hate to see you spending the winter pube less. LOL
Best stuff so far.
Now for making a few rubs....

Kali, that looks awesome. Gonna have to try the smoked version some day. And those ribs made me wanna pull a KFC and come down and lick your fingers, ....wait, ...never mind.

Nice looking smoked goodies and powders, everyone.

One trick for getting a larger quantity into the smoker or to keep small pods from falling through the racks is to take a disposable aluminum cake pan (or roasting pan, if your smoker is large enough) and poke a bunch of holes in it. Sides and bottom. The smoke filters through pretty good if you make 1/4"-1/2" holes or cuts.

I used that trick when smoking up about 20 pounds of habs and only had 3 racks in the smoker. One smoke session, and they were all done. The pods were then food processored and put into the freezer.

I got behind on posts. I got to "make another run." Pepperproblem had an excess of different peppers and we wanted to experiment some more. He unloaded a big batch of Douglahs as well as some Pubes and Baccums on me. Got them all split and stacked up in the smoker. Smoked these over applewood for about 6 or so hours. The Douglahs were some of the best pods from the end of the year. Most were fully ripe and packed with heat. I removed as much ribs and seeds as I could.

IMAG0561.jpg

IMAG0562.jpg

This was too much to get the lid to fit, so I had to rearrange some of it. Good problem to have.

IMAG0563.jpg

Once smoked I transferred everything to the dehydrator at 95d. It was so full because of the mass I did not think it would dry much. I was wrong.

Here are the results.
Smoked Douglah Sack.
IMAG0565.jpg

Pubes and Baccum.
IMAG0569.jpg

The pubes had some dark spots in it. I think they got a little scorched during the smoke process. Some of them came out mostly dry and a few had scorched backs during transfer to the dehydrator. Flavor turned out great and surprised to find that it had a lingering heat. Not overpowering. It goes straight for your nose if left open to the air. I had a heck of a fit grinding this to powder. I returned most of it to Pepperproblem and he seems pleased with the outcome. Still surprised that it has some heat to it because I did not taste any in the raw pepper.

Back