Aquaponic gardening with chilis

Hi, I'm new and came across this site a few days ago.  I've been running an aquaponics system indoors with goldfish and koi and half of my grow space is dedicated to hot peppers.  I'm familiar with plant stress techniques from outdoor growing but was unsure of techniques for plant stress in a fish-based nutrient system.  Over the past nine months I've accumulated through trial and error a couple of things I've found have helped with plant stress, and none of it drastically altered the growth of my non-pepper plants either.  I've seen many tips about this topic when dealing with regular hydroponics but not a lot regarding aquaponics.  I can't exactly go messing with my system chemicals drastically for the sake of my fish.  Hopefully my experiences might help someone and I can learn something as well if anyone else has some experience.

I'm using a flood and drain CHOPS rig (constant height one pump system) with one large fish tank constructed out of a horse stock tank and one sump tank with an internal swirl filter.  The pump runs and splits to the grow bed in one direction and into the fish tank in the other, both drain back into the sump.

A few things I've noticed have helped with piquancy due to plant stress:

*Faster than average flood and drain times.  Typically I had been running the cycle at about 15 minutes, I increased the speed of my pump and the siphon starts about every 6 minutes.  It's a little on the annoying side when I'm in the room but it hasn't seemed to harm anything.

*Emptying my swirl filter less frequently.  the swirl filter catches fish poop and uneaten food and can cause a sharp rise in ammonia levels when neglected...in this case it could be a good thing as long as I still am emptying it for the sake of the fish health.  The types of fish I'm using are more resistant to ammonia but I still regularly test my water.  I was empyting it once a week, now I'm waiting every two weeks.

*Overpruning has definitely made an impact, especially after my second round of peppers/third round of blooms.  One of my thai plants I pruned down to the point that it looked like it was a stick with some flowers and two or three leaves on it.  The plant grew back leaves eventually but I noticed the fruits were smaller and spicier.

*Crowding the plants.  My most recent batch of habaneros were crowded out by my planting of some fast growing lettuces nearby and it caused them stress from lack of light.  This experiment is still in the works but they have taken almost twice as long just to bloom as they normally do and they've remained dwarfed since the lettuces shot past them.  I'm hoping this will work out because it's another tip for me to add to my notes.  The lettuces will be removed soon and I'll see what happens.

PepperDaddler said:
Cool. Would like to see some pics.
Absolutely, my main problem at this moment being that I left my camera in the cargo pocket of a pair of pants and apparently washing machines don't mix well with electronics, who knew?  I think I have some older pictures already of the rig, which I'm going to expand to two more grow beds this winter.

DSCF0030_zpsd7df7628.jpg

when I first set it up:
PICT1228_zps91028abc.jpg

PICT1227_zps31e9a708.jpg

A pic with some of my peppers in it (I'm learning what kinds of plants NOT to put in a small grow space too, tomatoes being one of them, they just take over everything.)
543417_412089048897071_1419092347_n.jpg

Oh and for my lighting Originally I went out and bought some of those "grow lights" from the hardware store, which were totally bogus, I killed off a lot of plants and half of my fish.  I'm using a light rig that uses eight T5 bulbs now and I'm definitely happy with it, I'm gonna get two more of them for my new beds.  This is my first time growing anything indoors but I've learned so much just since December when I set it up.

Thai's seem to be my most forgiving, and fruit no matter the krap I put them through.
I can't help but think fruting plants would be deficient in almost everything but nitrogen in an aquaponic system.
Great for greens, not so great with fruit.
Can be done, but with a larger more integrated system.
Your waste through cattail bed, then into large pond of Tilapia, that into your garden.

Gotrox said:
Thai's seem to be my most forgiving, and fruit no matter the krap I put them through.
I can't help but think fruting plants would be deficient in almost everything but nitrogen in an aquaponic system.
Great for greens, not so great with fruit.
Can be done, but with a larger more integrated system.
Your waste through cattail bed, then into large pond of Tilapia, that into your garden.
Nutrients are usually based on whatever you're feeding your fish.  I feed mine both protein based flakes and vegetable based pellets, as well as the occasional insect larvae.  The most common nutrient deficiency for fruiting plants in aquaponics is iron, which can easily be offset by a dose of iron chelate.  The sign of it is yellowing of leaves that begins in the veins of older leaves.  I've yet to have any problems with iron deficiencies, I'm not entirely sure why.  The fruiting plants I have seem to be doing just fine but if I run into problems with it I can pick up some iron chelate from the hydroponics store in the next city over.

Another common problem in aquaponics is nitrate burn, which usually happens when people overstock their tanks and don't have enough plants to distribute it evenly.  Whenever you watch a youtube vid or whatever and someone has a hundred goldfish in a tank the size as mine, they've made a serious miscalculation about both the ammonia output of carps and their maximum size which can be 15" for goldfish and 24"+ for koi and dragon carp.  A good rule of thumb is an inch per gallon, but with adequate filtration these limits can be stretched.  I mentioned losing plants and fish when I didn't have a decent lighting situation, I've discovered it was because they were getting ammonia burn and nitrate burn, they weren't growing and absorbing the nitrates fast enough and it started a buildup. 

Edit: A habit I carried over from outdoor gardening is misting with epsom salt, I don't know if I really need to be doing that or not but it isn't hurting.

Back