breeding Aquaponic / Soil hybrid ?

Have been reading on some of the earliest forms of aquaponics.  Mostly about the rafts used in Southern and South America, but also about irrigation via flooding with fish water.  Neither of these would typically be called aquaponics by today's standards because both involve soil.  So not really sure what to call them and don't much care.

What I am curious to know is if anyone uses either of these methods for any type of grow?  The closest I come is using the tobacco floaters for corn.  If you havent seem them, they look like Styrofoam plug trays which you float in a nutrient solution.  In my case,in pond water.  I first tried floating them on one of the ponds, but my dogs thought they were play toys.  Now I line a ditch with black plastic, add pond water, and cover with clear plastic.  The result is mini green house on the cheap for starting plants.

With corn, the advantage is I can till and then plant corn that already has a head start on the weeds.  Thinking on using it for peppers and other crops just because it seems like a very cheap green house for starts next year.  Also, minimum maintenance / watering.

Thoughts?

Back