• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Arbol chilies

I've seen a couple ranges for the SHU's for Arbols, one is 15,000-30,000, another is 50,000-65,000... Which one is it?

The ones I grew last year seemed more on the mild side at times, so I would say they are probably in the 15,000 - 30,000 range. The heat seemed similar to cayennes to me.

Arboles are all over the lot for picante as are most chiles.

I have had market arboles that would lock your ankles up and some that were pretty mild comparatively.

+1 Willard...

I think a standard Arbol is between a Serrano and a Cayenne...I have heard it called a "mexican cayenne"...

I found a good supply of dried Arbols at the grocery I go to... I suppose I could give them a go, as long as their hotter than serranos. I can finally say I've graduated past serrano chiles. I can handle habs just fine on food, but on their own, straight up, I puked both time (gut burn).

what is noticed about this pepper it has dry heat thin skin without hint of sweetness
From Chihuahua Mexico: AKA Pico de Pajaro, Cola de Rata The name means tree like in Spanish which reflects the growing habit the plant has, it gets tall and will be loaded with this extra hot thin pods dry very easily which makes this kind good for powder

I don't know about "graduating" past serranos. They are a huge commercial success because they go so well in many foods.

If you're after pain, hit your hand with a hammer..... :)

I found a good supply of dried Arbols at the grocery I go to... I suppose I could give them a go, as long as their hotter than serranos. I can finally say I've graduated past serrano chiles. I can handle habs just fine on food, but on their own, straight up, I puked both time (gut burn).

Have you tried Serrano Tampiqueno? They are supposed to be the hottest serrano, and mainly grown in Mezxico. I'm trying to germinate some as I type. It's all good my friend.

I don't know about "graduating" past serranos. They are a huge commercial success because they go so well in many foods.

If you're after pain, hit your hand with a hammer..... :)
You know, not everyone can just go from not eating peppers to munchin' on bhuts all day long. Most have to work their way up, and so far, my "comfort" level is just past the average heat of a serrano. I can handle habs just fine, but my gut never agrees with them, so I avoid eating them straight up.

Have you tried Serrano Tampiqueno? They are supposed to be the hottest serrano, and mainly grown in Mezxico. I'm trying to germinate some as I type. It's all good my friend.
I have never had them, or heard of them. I'm limited, for the most part, to store bought peppers. It sucks, but it's not too bad.

Back