• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Are all Chiltepins Capsicum annuum var. glabriusculum?

Now that I've grown a few different Chiltepin/Tepin varieties and the Florida Wild/Calusa Indian Mound/Grove Pepper I've noticed two different plant forms.  I wonder if these are really both Capsicum annuum var. glabriusculum?

This type looks like other C. annuum plants:

This type looks different.  Shorter more heart-shaped leaves, the plant doesn't branch as quickly as the first type either.

Datil said:

I know for sure that there is a frutescens 'version' of Grove Pepper.

Cya

Datil

Well the plants I've grown that don't look like standard C. annuums were definitely not C. frutescens either.  Sonoran Chiltepin and another I received labelled simply as Tepin.

Since you mentioned it, if you happen to know where I can find some C. frutescens grove pepper seed, please let me know ;)

Seems like they have developed in several different directions,would be interesting to find out why. All seem to have the upright flower,no teeth on the calyx,and hot. I see similar differences between some chacoense and that has had my interest lately. Have you ever crossed the two of them Charles?

Here is a couple of mine. 

Tepin 1
20130601_164407.jpg

Tepin 2

20130601_164423.jpg

20130601_164416.jpg

Actually after looking at them again, they do look a lot like your second pic. The leaves were much rounder under the lights a few weeks ago. 

I have raised lots of tepins named for many  states in Méjico and they are not all the same.

I am not surprised at this, they have acclimatized to different geography.

i have one MAYO CHILITEPIN plant and it does look like a c. annum but i myself am not sure if there all c. anuum

Pr0digal_son said:
Seems like they have developed in several different directions,would be interesting to find out why. All seem to have the upright flower,no teeth on the calyx,and hot. I see similar differences between some chacoense and that has had my interest lately. Have you ever crossed the two of them Charles?

As of yet, the only thing I've crossed with this shorter leafed Chiltepin type (the 2nd & 3rd pics) has been a 7 Pot Barrackpore.  Crossing a chiltepin with a chacoense might be fun...
Jeff H said:
Here is a couple of mine. 

Actually after looking at them again, they do look a lot like your second pic. The leaves were much rounder under the lights a few weeks ago. 

These are very nice.  Is it a particular named Chiltepin (like Sonoran)?

Back