• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Are green onions a cash crop?

Edmick

Staff Member
Extreme Member
So today I went to the grocery store and saw green onions for $.89 a bundle (around 5 or 6 small green onions each) and out of curiosity, I weighed the bundle and it turns out that it took 5 bundles to get to a pound. That works out to be over $4 a pound! How is it that regular onions go for $.99 per pound (and sometimes 2 pounds on sale) and they take MONTHS longer to grow and green onions command such a higher price for something that can be grown in a fraction of the time in less space? But the grocery stores hide it by charging $.89 a bundle and no one thinks twice cuz it looks cheaper listing that way instead of by the pound. Blows my mind

sinensis said:
don't regular onions have a much longer shelf life?

and there's more demand? idk how many things i've made that call for pounds of green onion.
I'm married to an asian. Need I say more? Lol we use a lot of green onions.

I love the flavor of green onions....as a matter of a fact I had a couple with my Bacon cheese burgers tonight......dab in salt and take a bite. :dance: :dance:

onion.jpg

This brings back memories. When I was a kid, we'd always look forward to the radish & butter on white bread and the green onion, butter and salt on white bread sammies every spring.

Back