• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Are larva on my Bhut Leaves

Now i have incentive to clean up and find my camera. When I do, I'll post pics.

On my Bhut, growing indoors, there are tiny round yellowish things on many leaves. Could this be some kind of insect Larva?

Can I spray Raid on the leaves without damaging the plant?

Cant help you with what they are until pics are up really, but I wouldnt suggest spraying Raid on pepper plants or any edible vegetable. I would suggest going to your local Home Depot/Lowes and pick up some Neem Oil, or even a store like Wal-Mart to get a safe insecticide. Just my 2 cents though!

The funny thing is that these are only on the Bhut. My Big Jim and "Chile de negro" are not affected. I bought the Bhut as a live plant and sprouted the others myself. Maybe the bhut came with something?

I googled aphids - It looks like what this is - also on the top of the leaves.

Is it 100% clear that these came with the plant that I purchased? It is INDOORS, nowhere near a window and far far from the outside!

My local florists and plant stores are all closed. I doubt that Duane Reade has and safe insecticides for plants, but I am off to check.

It is only on 1 plant.

I found a plant store that had not yet closed. I bought some:

Schultz Houseplant and Garden Insect Spray.

I am off to kill some evil creatures!!!!!!!!!!!!

I look at my plants closely every day. I don't know how long the infestation was, as I normally don't look at the bottom of the leaves. Today, was the first day that I saw them, as they were visible on the bottom of the leaves. I don't see any holes or any damage to the leaves. The other good news is that they did not spread to my other plants, all which are very close to the Bhut.

I'd really like to know where the **** they came from.

I just threw the plant in the Garbage. I sprayed several times a day, but was unable to kill all of the aphids. I was hoping that there were dead ones that did not fall off, but I just saw some moving and definitely alive.

A few days ago some aphids managed to get to its neighbor, a Lemon Drop. I think I managed to kill all of them, but have it isolated just in case.

The plant was looking terrible with more and more leaf curl. The leaves and stems were so brittle, that I managed to knock a leaf off with the pressure from the stream of the insect spray.

Damn! I have never been able to sprout a Bhut and was looking forward to growing this.

I have a followup question:

I bought this as a live plant. I transplanted it into a bigger pot. I didn't notice the aphids until 2 weeks later. When I saw them, they were all over the plant. I strongly suspect that they cam with the plant, as I have NEVER had any aphids on anything I sprouted myself. Also, I don't open windows and don't think any wind pattern can make it into my apartment. Is it possible that there were a few unnoticeable females on the plant and 2 weeks later, a breeding cycle finished?

possible. these things breed like crazy. you might spot 5 or so, but there will be many, many more you don't see. And every day that passes that they are unnoticed, is another day that the little bastards are getting their groove on.

Back